Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Racist?

 Is saying that a Black person resembles a monkey necessarily racist?
I don't know... Patrick Ewing does have gorilla-like features.
 But is it racist to say that someone possess physical traits which are more commonly associated with animals?
 Doesn't Reese Witherspoon look like a Shih Tzu?
 Celine Dion, Camilla Bowles, Jerry Seinfeld and Sarah Jessica Parker are often referred to as being 'horse-faced'.
 And even when Kirstie Alley still looked good she was still somewhat lizard-like in appearance.
Okay, maybe OB-GYN Dr. Lisa could also sell car insurance - but sometimes some people can be said to look like certain animals without it having to be racist.

5 comments:

brohammas said...

White southerners have been saying what you just said for years. Yeeeeaaaaars, as in since the day the civil war ended and the "way its always been" began. After all, "we arent racist, they really are like monkeys".

Anonymous said...

No, it's not nice. because humans consider other animals to be beneath them. So it is a pejorative term. and especially when discrimination and racism exists.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - "Looks like" and "Is like" are two different things.
I think Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters looks like a caveman.

@ Desertflower - I have large eyes and kids used to call me Kermit (the frog).
I have a toothy grin and kids used to clown me about having horse teeth.
I don't have a flat wide nose so kids used to call me Dino (the pet on the Flintstones).
As I've grown into my features they've worked out in my favor.
As I said to brohammas, "looks like' is not the same as "Is like".

theoreoexperience said...

Wanna throw more than one man into the mix? Or is it only women whose appearances matter quite so much?

theoreoexperience said...

Ok...after re-reading, I rescind...partially. But only pics of women not any of the coupla men you mention still feels funny.