Tuesday, October 27, 2009

1/10

Why convert the hood to the good?
Or why do people even attempt the impossible?
Is there really such a thing as the Talented Tenth?

Most people who have "made it" seem to think that if everyone followed their example or their way of thinking then everything and everyone would be alright.
But most fail to realize that the paths that led to "success" are many and varied.
That most success stories are filled with as much inspiration, Divine intervention or luck as they are hard work.
That there is no one "right" answer.

But the motivation behind such thinking is usually selfish in it's origin.
Most people who have all the appearances of being on the other side are often sick of being; "The only Black...", "The first Black...", or the "Best Black...".
Most of these people are only seeking some form of familiarity in an unfamiliar environment.
For many, these blogs are the only place where they can openly discuss issues with people who have a similar experience as their own. (Even if their places of origin vary.)

Another difference is that many are discussing problems from a point of view that is beyond that of being aspirational or acquisitive.
Their goal is not to conform nor to fit in to a certain affectational (My word, I don't know the variant of "affectation".) group - but that of getting others into that group.
For many, they have the game figured out.
Their goal is to translate their own success to others who may be seeking the same end.

I (as have many on these blogs) have been the first Black attending, playing, working or having many things.
But that gets old.

I have been hated on by other Blacks for "Selling Out", only to have another more credible brotha' put the haters in their place by explaining that I was breaking new ground for others to follow.
When I was a freshman in high school on the varsity swim and water polo teams, I had to walk past the brotha's as I went through the usual freshman hazing of carrying the teams equipment.
The brotha' running things pointed out that I was shattering stereotypes and that they needed to support my efforts.
I think it was the first time that our school had a mass of Black football and basketball players cheering at the "Whiteboy Sporting Events".
(The brotha who had my back was later repaid years later when his younger brother was caught up in a bad situation that I could handle. Doing the right thing seems to catch up with you.)
I have been called a "Company Man" only to open doors for others who were seeking a position.
I have been called a "Tom" because I developed social relationships with cops who would later handle situations for brotha's who where about to be railroaded.
I have been called a "House Nigga'" because we moved out of the hood to the hills.
I have been called "Soft" only to prove that I also came from the hood.
I have been threatened with being jumped - but that has never happened.
I have as much reason to hate those with less means as does anyone else - but I don't.

How many hoes (I don't mean all women, just the easy ones.) can a man do?
How many homes can one own?
How many cars can one drive?
How many parties can one attend?
How many Valentino suits, Vacheron Constantin watches or Salvatore Ferragamo shoes can one wear?
When has one had enough of the game to realize that winning that game really doesn't matter?

5 comments:

FreeMan said...

Well before you get it money and all the time in the world seems like Heaven. Then when you get it you think SHIT this isn't it and you refocus on helping others understand the game even more.

Others move on to trying to solve the interaction with people. Trying to come up with the right words to show how stupid the differences are.

Yet others don't question is it enough as they keep reliving the same life over and over and over. Club, Car, Fuck and Alcohol.

I think you can only realize it's not worth playing once you get on top of it. Since it's rare to look down on the way up most stay in the game til their death.

CNu said...

repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result is the hallmark of insanity or stupidity?

I find few things more pathetic than fools my age and older still stuck on teenage preoccupations.

CNu said...

frankly, that's a VERY large part of what's wrong with the roles that have been modeled and continue to be modeled in the hood...,

uglyblackjohn said...

But a lot of those in the hood have reached their goals - they have and have done all that they'd ever imagined was possible.

But since to focus was always on "self", one's self can never be satisfied.
If the focus became that of the comminity - there would always be work to be done because there would always be someone in need.

IMO - This lack of comminity (team) is what holds most back.
The "I" players get their points but the team (comminity) never wins anything.
I can understand the neighborhood hustler thinking this small,
but when even churches start preaching about "How to get yours" instead of "How WE get ours", the game is already lost.

When grown-ass men are acting like spoiled "ME,me,me..." children - there is a void in qualified leaders.

CNu said...

UBJ is truth.

accept no substitutes...,