Friday, April 2, 2010

Sick of Fish

The odd thing about many parts of the South is the Catholic influence on even non-Catholic society.
Most people know of Mardi Gras but Good Friday is also a recognized Holiday.
Many liquor stores and bars get exited because Good Friday signals the nearing end of the Lenten season.
Even many Baptists and Pentecostals give up their bottles of Crown Royal for forty days and nights.

But Good Friday also means that the grocery stores will have a run on fish, shrimp and crawfish for the many, almost requisite, Fishfries.
It seems that everyone one sees is having a Fishfry and wants you to stop by to get a plate.

Now, I'm extremely religious - I just don't go to the same church that often.
When I do it's usually as a guest.
I once attended a church which stated that upon entering Heaven - I'd magically be turned white.
Really?
That is my reward for doing good deeds - I get to be white?
I once attended a mosque where the Imam told me that the only reason I sought to be honest was because I must have some white in my bloodline?
Really?
I have to be white to desire virtues?
I attended a church where the Pastor passed the plate five times in one afternoon - each time imploring worshipers to dig deeper.
Really?
The guy needs to take five collections to maintain the homes, cars and lifestyles of he and his children?

I'm all for religion - even though I doubt I know the true meaning of such.
But I hate the way many currently practice.
So this Good Friday I'll just be eating fish and saying my prayers on my own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Yes me too.I don't like organized religion anymore for much the same reasons as you.

I did raise my children in the church, but now I just pray to my God and that's enough for me.

I made fish in Escabeche yesterday, a sort of pickling but better, and today had leftovers. Not because of the holiday, but because I happen to like seafood.

uglyblackjohn said...

Lots of fish in Puerto Rico?

Anonymous said...

uglyblackjohn said...
Lots of fish in Puerto Rico?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would think so, this being an island surrounded by water,but no, the majority of the local fishermen sell their catch to the retaurants. And when it comes to seafood, even the local restaurants are pricey, so most of us end up,(believe it or not), buying seafood at the supermarket, and you know what that means! Basically you have to race the commercial establishments to the fish stores to get fresh fish.

My son fishes once in a while, and of course you just can't beat the flavor of the fresh catch! Yummy!

Also the US has put a lot of limitations on what the fishermen can and can't catch and how far out to sea they can go, etc.