Sunday, April 11, 2010

Damn I'm Old

Some days are worth it.
Some days the kids we influence seem to gain a bit more understanding, a bit more confidence, maybe even a bit more hope.

For the past three weeks I've taken a break from being the "Uncle Bernie" to a couple of young cousins to see how they would translate what I've taught them to their old environments.
One cousin lost his job, another got suspended from school for fighting, and a third just disappeared.
It seems that when they return to the ghetto they again begin to act ghetto.
But what could be the problem?

Whether good or bad - kids believe what they are told.
I've read stories of blessings and curses in Biblical literature and never understood whether they had any effect on ones life.
But thinking back - I've always received blessings from the people I respected.

Back in the day, a kid could hang out at the local pool hall or bar and enjoy a soda.
On ones birthday he may have even be allowed to sit at the bar with the men.
On one such evening, a known dealer pulled a young dude aside to have a conversation.
The dealer explained that he liked the way the young dude handled those around him because he respected everyone.
When the young guy corrected his elder by pointing out that he didn't respect everyone but that he only treated everyone with respect, the dealer laughed and agreed and bought the youngun' another Root Beer.
Later in the conversation - the dealer gave what seemed to be his blessing to the young dude.
"You're lucky. Those who can get you won't - and those who can't... can't", the dealer told the kid.
I've always remembered those words.
I think it made me more sure of myself in any situation.
I could always deal with the hood without the fear generally associated with being a non-gangsta'.
I knew that I would always be a'ight.
Later in life - I would always receive assistance from someone (or those in their family, clique or crew) I'd unintentionally helped or shown kindness to.
Odd - it's as though I had received some sort of ghetto blessing from one of it's King Makers.

"You ain't shit", "You can't do shit." or "You ain't never gonna' be shit." are the most common ghetto curses uttered today.
(Back to the problems with my young cousins.)
As I'd had a chance to look at some jobs people had been bugging me to do - I decided to do a little work and use the jobs as teachable moments.

One project was a carport.
The job paid $4000 to attach a structure to a home on an existing slab.
The materials only cost $1400 and the permits were already in order.
But I needed workers.
Two young cousins could help and they had a friend who was tired of sitting at home.
When I went to pick up the kid, "He can't do shit.", his mother said.
"That's alright ma'am, I'll teach him", I said.
"He's a dummy, he don't know nothin'.", she'd retort.
"But can he come?", I'd asked.
"I don't care...", she said.
(But this was the problem - by always saying that she 'didn't care' the kid learned that she (nor his absentee father) really didn't care.)

The job was simple and quick.
In two working days the structure was done and had passed all inspections.
The kids had learned how to mix concrete, read a tape measure, build for structural support, and a host of other boring stuff.
(The funniest thing is watching wanna'-be gangsta's crab walking on a roof top or holding on to scaffolding for dear life.)
I was surprised that many teen age boys had never used power tools in their lives.

I know a little math.
After the job was done each of the three boys were handed two fresh hundred dollar bills.
The kid I'd never met was especially pleased with his pay.
Well... until he saw my $4000 check.

"You make $4000 every two days", he asked.
But I had to explain to him that the check was for gross pay.
That I had to subtract; $1400 for materials, $600 for labor and that I'd have to pay taxes on what was earned.
"But still... $2000 for two days?!", he said.
But then I had to explain that It had really taken me another half day to do all the paperwork, and another half day to purchase supplies.
"Okay... $2000 for three days?!", he said.
"Well... yeah... . But all jobs aren't this easy and some don't pay as well as others.", I'd say.
"Why do they pay you so much?" he asked.
Seeing the opportunity to teach the kid something, "Because I know a little math.", I said.

I then began to explain how we'd used simple geometry in finding the lengths and angles of the compound mitre cuts on the rafters needed to seamlessly incorporate the addition to the existing structure.
I'd explained that simple arithmetic was needed to figure out the costs and profits of the job.
I'd then explained that this was small time, that even more money could be made if he takes algebra or trigonometry and becomes an engineer.
"I like math." he said.
"Then do as well as you can in it.", I said, "And use whatever you learn in any class to do whatever you want to do."

It's cool to be "Cool".
I'm not one who believes in doing things to impress kids.
But this kid had never met me.
This kid had a million questions.
This kid was impressed that I knew a lot of women from the clubs I'd run.
(Actually, he thought that running or owning clubs was pretty cool in itself.)
This kid was impressed that I didn't speak in Ebonics and he would stop to ask what words meant.
This kid was impressed that I could go from the nicer areas to the hood and be comfortable in each.
This kid was impressed that I could help my young cousins with any sport.
This kid was impressed that I could draw and paint a graffiti-inspired mural on my cousin's bedroom wall.
This kid was impressed that I didn't seem to limit myself to what others said I should know or do.
This kid was impressed that I looked younger and was in better shape than his father.

"But you have money.", the kid finally said.
"Money is incidental. Money only matters to those who need it and don't have it.", I said.
But he had been taught the Scarface (Money, respect, women) philosophy of money.
I then pointed out that it had taken him two days to get to "money".
That he respected ability, knowledge or how I treated others before he even got to "money".
That he was more interested in many many things and that money was almost an afterthought.
After thinking about it, "But that stuff is better than money.", he said.
"Exactly", I said, "But you need money to survive.".

I'm old.
Someone once said that when one needs to use all they've ever learned that person is exactly where he needs to be.
I hate this town.
I thought I'd take the money and run or else stay here, sit back and become a country squire.
But something keeps happening along the way.
It seems that I keep meeting people who need this or that.
I keep having to do things which I'd prefer not to have to do.
I don't like crowds for long periods of time - which I have to be around to run a club.
I hate doing construction - but many people seem to need work done on their homes.
I'm sick of the hood - but I keep meeting people who need help getting out or who are trying to do the best with what they have.
I thought retirement was supposed to be easy?

I think I strained a rib muscle while hauling materials up to the rooftop.
I'm not telling the boys this, they're still impressed that I could carry more than them over a longer period of time.
They're still amazed that they were in good shape if taking a picture but in terrible shape if one wanted to do actual work.
They're still impressed that they had to ice sore muscles while I was out to dinner.
But today my hamstrings are killing me.
My delts and traps are swollen.
My calves are on fire.
Yeah... I'm old - but these kids will never know it.

18 comments:

imelda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
doll said...

I was enjoying this post, getting deeper and deeper into the guts of it and then I heard a pathetic little voice......Mum I need feeding.


Seems that teaching the young is a never ending process.


I had a personal trainer once. She just loved taking her menopausal female clients to workout with the juveniles. The Juveniles realised they weren't quite as fabulous as they thought and the women realised they could truly kick shit.

So yes you may be old and your muscles complaining, you may have to endlessly do things you would rather not do but my goodness isn't life great when you CAN do.

KonWomyn said...

That was such a nice story, maaan you're a saint! Salut!

Money is incidental. Money only matters to those who need it and those don't have it.

Truth.

...Accept No Substitutes.

brohammas said...

Where much is given much is required. I'm sure youve heard that somewhere.

UBJ is old?! Who of us, the older and supposed to be less prideful, havent hidden an injury from a bunch of snot nosed punks? I used to be amused when I'd show up at church in a nice suit and two black eyes. All the kids would be amazed, talk a little trash, then I'd have them google the fight results on their phones. They didn't understand how you could be a church guy and box. Some kids don't realize that yoiu don't have to be one or the other... or that you can be more than one thing.

If I were ther I'd poke you in the sore rib every chance I could get.

FreeMan said...

I like you had someone schooling me when I was a kid. A older guy who sold dope would sit with me on top of the roof at night and say he watches people try to steal his stash of cocaine which he never kept there. He told me most people can be trusted as long as the trust is not about money.

The second guy who I washed his high school car for 2 bucks told me as long as your willing to do the work someone will pay you.

I always think those who are in a bad way can be reached early if you just show them a way to correct it. We only run into problems when they become grown men and they can't correct theirselves.

Sometimes in life you are where you need to be eventhough you hate it there. At least I hope that's true because I have been places where I couldn't leave and I had to rationalize a way of staying there.

Anonymous said...

This was an inspriring post. It's always good to hear about a good kid, or should I say one at a crossroads, even if he doesn't know it. You could have just as easily been a drugdealer selling him the game and the 10 crack commandments. You prolly really helped this kid dodge a bullet. but of course now you have taken a responsibility to guide him. Well done Black John (my momma taught me to never call someone ugly).
-Kay

uglyblackjohn said...

@ doll - I'm 6'1" and 225lbs so I'm no slouch.
I can always do whatever needs to be done - it's just that as one ages (I'm 45 with 17 grey hairs (my neice counts them)) the work can be done but it's the recovery that kills you.

@ KayDub - Nope, no saint. I just remember wishing that someone would come along and help me with ANYTHING when I was a kid.
It's like a person who has parents with cancer and decides to become a doctor.
People just like to solve the problems of others which they have conquered themselves.

@ brohammas - I run into many kids who are not even taught that they can be ONE thing.
Many are told that they can't be ANYTHING by those who are supposed to be training them.

As to your first quote:
Being the older brother - I think birth order had a lot to do with my outlook and sense of responsibility to those besides myself.
My younger brothers had many more opportunities than myself or those I run across but they had/have the same results.
Maybe I'm trying to figure out how I went wrong in raising my brothers - IDK.
But one of my brothers called me from State and told me that if they were that bad with my help... imagine how bad they would have been without it.
They seem okay with my teaching methods it's just that I hate the final results.

@ FreeMan - Maybe I'm suffering from "Survivor's Guilt".
I'm just an average guy who has always done fairly well in most things.
I can't explain how, it just seems to happen.
I don't know why so many waste their talents and opportunities.
If I'm supposed to teach others a better way, I think that I should first understand that way myself.

But yeah...
I always do well when dealing with those from the hood - maybe they can recognize a bit of hood remaining in me.
I do well with those with a lot of resources - maybe they see potential.
I most often run into problems with the know-it-all aspirational and acquisitive middle class - but I don't know why.
Maybe they think that I'll help those which they detest become too much like them (middle class).
Many from the hood just hate as a hobby, but many from the middle class hate like a job.

FreeMan said...

"Many from the hood just hate as a hobby, but many from the middle class hate like a job." - that's a great line.

I like you have my major beefs with the know-it-all aspirational and acquisitive middle class but I DO KNOW WHY. I realize that what they stand on is not that secure. I realize that they are probably one generation up from it themselves. I realize that they still have elements of it in their family but want to say they are better. I realize they have not accumulated or learned anything to give them the right to talk down on anyone.

I realize that bothers them that I know that's who they really are. The funniest thing to me is they realize that I know that without me even speaking a word.

doll said...

ubj,

old is relative. To me 45 is midway, neither young nor old but just about perfect.

doll said...

I guess I should have replied

I'm 5'4", 110lb, 47 and no gray hairs but the wrinkles they just keep a coming.

CNu said...

Someone once said that when one needs to use all they've ever learned that person is exactly where he needs to be.

why it's called the work...,

brohammas said...

OK, so now my wife has officially commented on your blog more than mine. Whats up with that?

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Anon. - I think all kids are good until ruined by their environment or their parents.
I just doubt that many kids have ever had someone take the time to teach them anything.

@ SeeNew - Yeah... but I'm the King of Lazy - I'd prefer doing things the easy way.

@ brohammas - Which is Mrs. brohammas?

1990 said...

Wow, this was a great post.

UBJ I always thought you were in your 30's. You are kind of old to me. You're literally the same age as my parents.lol. no offense.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ 1990 - None taken. I've been retired for a little over 11 years now.
I felt fairly young when I first moved here but I realize that I'm now an old man.

doll said...

Jesus, if you feel old at 45 than by the time you are 60 you will feel like Methuselah.

My mother told me recently that it was turning 70 that convinced her she was getting old and I am more than happy to keep that as the aging milestone.

There was something in the newspaper recently about different cultures and aging so that in some cultures old begins at 30 and in others, thank goodness, it doesn't being until much later in life. Probably has something to do with whether youth is seen as the gold standard or the veneration of maturity and wisdom.

brohammas said...

"Anon" signed -Kay at the end s the HAlle BErry immitator, MRs. Brohammas

Reggie said...

What's really nice John is that you provided "life lessons" for those boys and in particular the one with all the questions.

Sometimes that all someone needs, to know someone cares enough to teach them.