Friday, April 2, 2010

School Lunch

Cactusrose pointed out that online forums often function in the same manner as do neighborhoods, communities and municipalities.
A sagacious blogger (SeeNew) pointed out that those with whom we identify are those with whom we share a "communion of persons".

This phenomenon is most visibly noted in school lunch rooms.
Even after the end of formal Segregation - most kids still segregate by race, gender or common interests.
The Jock Tables, Cheerleader Tables, Band Geek/Drama Tables, Nerd Tables, or the Cool Kids Tables are generally segregated by common interest with race being only a minimal factor.
But even within each sub-group there is a noticeable hierarchy.
Sometimes race works in ones favor - sometimes not.
What is most important in gaining and maintaining status within each group is the ability to produce, the ability to execute the tasks valued within each sub-group.

This segregation (sadly) can be seen within families as well.
Some families never eat together.
Each member eats in their own area at their own time while watching their favorite programs on their own television.
These families have no "communions of persons".
These families never really get to know each other.

Think about it - with whom do you eat lunch at work?
Are these not the people you choose to be around?
Are not these the people with whom you share information, problems, or gossip?
What is this connection between food and familiarity?

When I first moved here, "you must hang out with white people" was a common assumption.
I had to think about it for a second.
While I may have been influenced by a culture which many here in the South seem to imagine is endemic and inherent to white people - more than half of my closest friends were Black.
The rest were Asian, Hispanic and white - but overwhelmingly, I had grown up in a Black environment.

But one must not assume (as many do) that Black=Ghetto.
I grew up in a town where the education rates for Blacks was equal to that of all other races.
I grew up in an environment where Blacks earn more than the average wages for all the city's residents.
I grew up in a town where MLK Blvd. and MLK High were in the best parts of town.
I grew up in a town where, overwhelmingly, the Dumb Blacks received at least an Associates degree - the rest went on to earn more advanced degrees (67% of the Blacks have at least an Associates while more than 20% have at least a Bachelors).
The rates for Community College graduates rivals those of High School graduates in many other cities.
My level of expectation for Blacks was one of being prepared to compete.
I never viewed Blacks as helpless victims but as worthy adversaries or partners.

My World View may be different than that of some.
My friends are chosen by their ability to contribute to any given activity.
My dinner guests are most often those with whom I share a common vision for the future.
I hold my communion with those who are working towards the same end as myself.
If a nice concept, idea or theory is "food for thought" - then I'll have my intellectual meals with those who bring something to the table from time to time.

2 comments:

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

I feel you. And if we're really being honest, I think God sends true friends our way. And when we receive them, they'll last a life time.

brohammas said...

Occasionally we find our dinner guests become the same people over and over, or rather the same types of people, we have to adjust some things.

If we only sup and entertain those most like ourselves, we risk becoming narrow in our views and experience.

Reality is not narrow and neither can anyone be, who wants to affect it.