Friday, April 16, 2010

A Failed Model

I'm always looking for the most simple example to explain a point when dealing with the families I mentor.
The most common mistake made by mothers (or grandmothers) who are the primary breadwinners of their families is that many tend to allow their children (or grandchildren) to remain within the safety of the home for far too long.
Many of these mothers seem to coddle their children to the point of societal retardation.

When did families stop teaching their children the necessary skills for a productive life?
When did women forget how to cook, sew or clean?
When did men forget how to build, repair or maintain?

This past week I was surprised that it was me who had to teach a group of boys how to mend ripped seams in their pants, replace buttons on shirts, and convert long pants into shorts.
"I don't have anything to wear." was one boy's excuse for not making it to school on a regular basis.
Sure, I could have given him the lecture about school being for ones intellectual edification and not so one could parade around as if on a catwalk.
But this is a different generation.

My first stop was to see what the kid was working with.
He had the usual mix of ripped jeans, old T's, and a few faded Polo brand shirts.
Most of the kid's long pants were too short but were easily converted into long shorts.
Most of the faded Polo shirts and stained T's were easily dyed.
Most of the Jordan's and Forces were easily washed in a regular washing machine and allowed to air dry (as not to ruin the glue which hold the shoes together) and came out looking just slightly less than brand new. (A Sharpie was used to color in any unsightly blemishes).
When other children saw how ones old wardrobe could be extended - I was in the middle of a full-scale sewing circle.
When did poor people stop knowing how to be poor?

In the top image above; A fully functional family is able to teach and nurture it's young in proportion to a child's age and abilities.
As the child ages his level of consumption dwindles as his level of contribution grows.
In this model the family's resources (represented by the whole of the four rectangles) are more than enough to accommodate any challenges they may encounter in life.
In this model the next generation is prepared to take care of it's own progeny.
If repeated, this model allows for the generational accumulation of wealth.

In the bottom image the problems (consumption) far outweigh the family's resources (contributions).
But this is often the model practiced by many single mothers today.
Many single mothers ignore the fact that as a child grows - so do his problems.
If not put on the correct trajectory at an early age the consumption of resources wipes out all that a parent (or grandparent) has accumulated in their lifetime.
This also leads to the primary breadwinner being responsible for even the next generation.
This model leads to generation after generation of poverty.

5 comments:

FreeMan said...

UBJ it's because their mother didn't tell them that they were poor! They didn't want to hurt their feelings so instead they went and got them designer clothes so they wouldn't feel poor.

So without the mother or grandmother bottom lining the kid the boy grows up not thinking he has to take on this ish early. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get a job because my mother would buy me crap or what she could afford. So I started creating my own ways of making money and eventually got a job at McDonalds in the 9th grade so I could buy my own Girbauds.

The kids have never seen poverty as they are given the trappings of the middle class while in poverty. We grew up with a B&W TV until my brother came home from the Air Force with a color TV. I mean we knew we were poor so my whole family knows how to sew, we know how to handwash our clothes, we broke out the old toothbrush and liquid soap to keep our K-Swiss and Chucks white.

The thing you are missing is they just don't know they are poor! To most women they don't like feeling poor so they feel to spare their kids from it is a plus. My mother thought she had a number of sons and they needed to carry the weight. As a result I knew I had to be prepared because she told us we had to leave when we got out of High School. So at 13 I knew I was heading to taking care of myself so I took care of everything I had and it made me learn how to make money.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

"When did poor people stop knowing how to be poor?"

Call me warped, but that's funny.

A few serious thoughts, though.

You mentioned how you got a job. One of great things Marion Barry did for his constituents in my hometown of DC was to have a paid summer program for every teen who wanted to work.

I don't know if his replacement does this, but in a lot of cities teens cannot get a job. Hell, their parents are struggling to find work. Our unemployment rate was in the Great Depression mode long before the "real one" hit.

I totally agree with you that "The kids have never seen poverty as they are given the trappings of the middle class while in poverty."

We can thank easy credit for this. "No Money Down! No Payments For One Whole Year!"

Remember those days? Lol, yeah, I'll bet you do. You could fill an apartment with furniture and a computer and a big ole tv set under plans.

And food? Who wants to wash dishes? Nobody, and I think this, more than anything, is why fast food got so popular and people stopped cooking as much. Made us fat and unhealthy, and those $5 lunches added up.

Black folks and whites lost a lot of their survival skills as a result of all this. The whole country is a mess.

We've only been front runners in the race to the bottom.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ FreeMan - Yup.
And you can't convince them otherwise because many have what they see everyone else having.

@ Kit - Believe me... my little cousins don't WANT TO cook, clean and do dishes - but they HAVE TO as long as they stay with me.
I overheard one say to his friend, "We're not allowed to be sorry.".
At which point I knew that they knew that I was trying to help them.

KST said...

As a single mom to a four year old, I'd have to agree with this post. She's alreadly learning that Mommy can't afford everything she wants. Going from two incomes to one was a huge change. Luckily, it's been easy to find things that are fun and FREE.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ KST - Kids remember the experiences had more than the stuff purchased.
Just build a close relationship with you daughter and she'll be alright.