Monday, March 1, 2010

Yep !


Anon. said - "So you just found out the root of the urban crisis? 'Just hire yourself, young man.'".
Exactly.
Every bad neighborhood has a sub economy.
Whether it's the lady who sells frozen Kool-Aid cups and candy, or the woman who braids hair, or even the guy who does every ones lawn.
Productive people always find a way to produce.

Some people scoff at the idea of selling oranges at the side of the freeway - but not me.
At least these guys are working.
Not complaining.
Not begging.
These guys (even at the micro-level) understand the value of "The Hustle".

People who paint addresses on curbs can make $100-$400 a day.
Part time.
Tax Free.

How do you think most big businesses started?
By providing a service to a demographic which was under served.

But no, Anon., starting a shoeshine company was not my answer to underemployment in urban areas.
Understanding the concept of "The Hustle" is.

6 comments:

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Well said. My dad personified this. He worked as an accountant during the day, had a barbershop, and in that shop had a shoe shine stand which my brother manned as a boy and young teen, did taxes during the season.

Long before that he he grew up in a family of farmers, and what they didn't eat, I'm sure they sold on the side of the road or in town.

I think that what he and you called the hustle is almost a lost art in this culture where labor is confined more to cubicles and store counters, we've learned to over-depend on big businesses for our survival.

As so many of them are sinking, we aren't collectively doing as well. I wonder how possible it will be for the masses to return to the old ways, but I'll bet my dad would have some solutions.

doll said...

oooh, I do like the little itsy bitsy bikini.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ doll - I shoulda' warned brohammas about that shot.

@ KIT - I think (for many) things within the hood were better before the end of Segregation.
Back in the day, people knew they had to work.
Back in the day, people had a sense of community.
Back in the day, we had a village.

Do I want to go back to Segregation?
Heck no.
But I DO wish we didn't squnder our recent progress and begin to immitate those who oppressed.
If we took our old values and added them to our new opportunities - we would all be a lot better off.

Anonymous said...

The hustle is going on in urban environments all the time: It's called the drug trade.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Anon. - Short term fix with long term problems.

KST said...

Anon was being simple minded.

UBJ: I've often thought the same thing regarding segregation. A year ago I was doing research about a district in my town called King-Lincoln. Mt. Vernon Ave. (now run down and crack infested) used to be the heart of the black community here.