Monday, March 22, 2010

Eye Witness

Many only believe what they see with their own eyes.
But can ones eyes lie?
Can a person only be assumed to be seeing that which they have already determined they are seeing?
Any normal person would state that the above image is just a series of static dots forming a fractal.
But the same person would interpret the same series of dots in the center of the image dots as moving outward.

One usually ascribes a value to an image which roughly matches that which they have already seen (or imagined themselves to have seen.) from their brain's stored image gallery.
Where one person might see a stand of trees with falling leaves - others would ascribe a female image to the same photo.

Our eyes really don't see a sharp well-defined image.
We don't see in HDTV.
What we often do is match an image (a bunch of seemingly random curved objects) to that which we may already know (a woman).
We create the image of a woman in our minds - in reality, these are just a bunch of curved objects.
So,
Going back a few posts;
Is our image of God only our image of God.
Is God something (or Someone) totally different?

3 comments:

doll said...

The tree face is simply beautiful.

I read one of those self discovery books once that set the challenge to look differently at the world. I had never been aware of how narrow my focus was before and how little I saw. It is a constant battle to open my eyes wide and look out after a lifetime of looking only at the ground around my feet.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ doll - Funny that.
One of my young cousins commented (just today) that I walk around like I'm the boss of everything.
"But the cool boss", he added.
When I asked why, he said that I always have my head up and speak to people.

But this is also telling.
He stays within the confines of what he's taught.
I'm always open to a new or better ways.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Man, John, I've been working backward from your later four posts; you've been rocking here. This one, with the your final two questions, ended this post with a bang.