Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yes Sierra, There Is A Santa Claus (And He's Black)

Upon seeing the Black Santa figure on the hearth of my fireplace, "Santa isn't Black", a little cousin said.
"He was always Black at my house." I replied.
At which time her older male cousins pointed out that there was no Santa Claus.

But he was incorrect.
When I pointed out that Santa lived with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and the lesser appreciated but more important; Bill Fairy, Food Fairy, Clothes Fairy, Ride Fairy, Clean Your Room Fairy, Do Laundry Fairy and Anything You All Need Fairy - he got the point.
Then I explained that the fewer fairies in which one believes - the fewer exist for that person.
"Oh... that's why old people have to buy presents..." she said.
"And pay bills and buy stuff.." she continued.
"And that's why (fill in smart ass older cousin's name here) and (fill in other smart ass cousin's name here) always have to do work.

As we were about to leave to look at Christmas lights in the neighborhood,
"Yes Sierra, there is a Santa Claus"
The oldest smart ass cousin conceded.
"And he's Black at my house.", I said.
"Yeah... he is.", he said.
(But he still had to do his chores when we got home.)

2 comments:

brohammas said...

my racially aware daughter was confused by the different colors of Clausses we saw around town. I explained he can be whatever color he wants.

She bought that part but now is set on sussing out all the fake santas at malls and parties. She can tell who is real and not by thier beards or by their boots.

Little detective better keep her tail in bed Christmas eve or the white santa will take his sack to Goodwill.

uglyblackjohn said...

You know what...
Even though I hate to lie, I seem to tell my little cousins some whoppers.
But as they get older, I'm sure the story will become more and more complex.

But c'mon brohammas - you know you'll just make up an excuse like, "Santa was in a hurry and he asked me to drop this stuff off for him.".