Sunday, January 30, 2011

Status?

 I'm not really a big fan of Ralph Lauren's Polo line - it seems a bit too pretentious for me.
But I do wear the plain sweatshirts if there is a chance that I'll get dirty or wet.
I have some friends who always invite me out on their boats.
I'm not into yachting but I seem to have the right clothes for it.
 While wearing an old shirt from school, everyone seemed to want to know where I got my old WMYC gear from.
Going to school on Oahu, Lahaina was just a short flight away.
On another occasion, I wore an old sweatshirt from an old America's cup race which is signed by Dennis Conner.
(The parents of an ex got them for me from a charity fund raiser back-in-the-day.)
The old guys at the local yacht club knew exactly who the guy was.
From wearing these old nondescript items I've managed quite a few invites to lunches, dinners and parties.
Who knew that casually wearing old clothes was an easy ticket to some of our local inner circles?

3 comments:

Citizen Ojo said...

Clothing has always been a financial indicator. I guess that's why people who can't afford certain brands go broke trying to buy them. I guess it's not a suprise that they could get you "in" the inner circles. I'm sure they do help people to fit in so it's a possiblity.

uglyblackjohn said...

But Ojo - I was trying to look like a 'poor' guy by wearing old sweats. It was odd that the logos gave the image that I was used to things which these guys owned.
That I belonged in their group and was not just fakin' da' funk like those who sported Polo.

brohammas said...

Sure you were trying to look poor, but what many of us miss while staring so hard at labels, is the origin of many of said labels.
Where I came from North Face was a brand worn for a purpose. the people I know who wore it were very likely about to climb a mountain.
Boat shoes were once actually meant for boating.
Performance gear has grown past its original purpose... except for those actually participating in the original purpose.