Thursday, January 27, 2011

In Da' Club

 "Oh, now that some white girls come in you don't have time for us", a group of chubby female guests commented.
The trick to running a successful nightclub - or any business - is to make sure that every customer feels as though he/she is always a VIP.
Even if the woman has eaten her way out of competition for the most desirable men - the trick is to make her feel as though she can get any man.
But last night was one of those nights when I had to take care of a little business first.
Last night I had to sample products being sold by my liquor reps.
While I do well at running clubs, I'm not really a drinking man so I enlisted the help of a few regulars.
The liquor reps are hired for their looks so they usually get attention regardless of the surroundings.
Mix; free liquor with grateful patrons and a club filled with people still not over their scars from the Segregated South and what you get are a bunch of angry Black women.
Let a tall, slim, light skinned woman with her own long hair walk in and wait for the beasts to pick her apart.
If the woman is a bitch - I say nothing.
If the woman is nice - I say, "I don't want to hear it. That's my home girl." as I walk away from the conversation.
The bitter pack always apologize and then proceed to demonstrate that it wasn't they who where just hating on beauty.

Pigmentocracy is a bitch.
But things are worse for a non-Black woman in a majority Black club.
Especially if the woman is hot.
To those on the outside - the cadre at the table of our liquor reps were just paying too much attention to non-Black women.
To those at the table - they were just taking part in the selection of products we may choose to carry.

As the session ended - the liquor reps bought rounds for the entire club and handed out hats, key chains, t-shirts and jackets to promote their products.
At which point the pack of bitter bitches recalled who these ladies were.
"Oh. that's Whitney and Summer. I Like them.", the initial complainant said as she drank her free drinks.
(I'm on the "Always list". Which means that I always get free product and promotions from the liquor companies - in most other cases the promotions are geared to a certain demographic.)
Sometimes the resentment is justified - other times it's not.
(But these girls were pretty hot and sometimes - regardless of race - hot is hot.)

1 comment:

DF said...

It's the way of the world UBJ. Everyone talks shit until you give them a free drink and then they drop all the hate.

This is why most negotiations have drinking and eating involved. Cuz it's hard to get mad at someone who fills you up.

Quarter Pounders are always mad period. They come in the club knowing they are negative and so they will never be positive.