Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lower Case

I saw a bag similar to this on the header of someones blog and said, "Nice satchel.".
"I could use a bag like that to go from club to club to construction site to meeting without having to worry about a scuff mark or having to worry about my bag matching my shoes.", I thought.
But the girl reading over my shoulder thought that it "looked poor".
What she imagined as being of a 'higher class' was something resembling this, more traditional, briefcase from Gucci.
Her idea of class was a suit from Dillard's, Stacy Adams shoes and a briefcase.
(This reminded me of Von's aspirational way of thinking.)
When I reminded her that I carry a nondescript TUMI bag, wear Donald Pliner shoes and Armani or Jahne Barnes suits and sportswear with no visible labels, "What's that" is all she could say.

This is the hardest part about finding a girl here in the South.
Most are still so stuck on feeling inferior that they try to hide their insecurity behind the labels of their products.
Most don't understand the old axiom, "Form follows function.".
Initially she thought that this bag "looked poor" too.
Until she saw the "LV" logo.
"Oh, that's nice.", she said.
Next thing you know, she'll want me to carry a murse like this MCM model.
(Umm... No thanks.)

6 comments:

FreeMan said...

I'm out of the loop. I got me one of those field clipboards that are durable and can hold docs inside.

All this business pimpin is a little too much for a playa!

brohammas said...

The bag came from Saddleback Leather Company and comes with a 100 year warranty.

In the spirit of Indiana Jones the bag easily converts to a backpack.

Then again... maybe you were not talking about mine. My wife calls it my man purse just to watch me cringe, mostly because it cost more than most fancy girl purses.
The company has a contest where they give prizes to anyone who takes a picture with the bag in the craziest locale.... Egypt, Thailand, skydiving.
I'm a fan.
NOT poor.

KonWomyn said...

LOL, what's homegirl talkin' 'bout, the top one is one of the trendiest types rite now. Y'can tell a good make from a cheap one if you have a discerning eye.

iHate, Hate, Hate (!) the LV bags that have the logo splattered all over. Ugh!

Maybe you should have your business in the South, but head to the bigger cities on the wknds, y'need an outlet. No offence but small town mentality can be so draining and stifling, at times.

doll said...

This morning as I sat on the train I took a good look at the bag of the woman beside me. It had ysl all over it but for the life of me I couldn't understand why anyone would want a bag with that as a pattern PLUS the little r symbol to show it was a registered trademark repeated ad nauseum.

What has happened to style?

I am a snob....I want my bags, shoes and clothes to be unique.

brohammas said...

Wait, what is she talking about? Does she know any poor men, because I do and I have never seen any of them carry a briefcase or messenger style bag. Duffle bag or Jansport style backpack, but briefcase?

Reggie said...

Ain't that a bitch brother?!?

By the way, I thought the first bag was rather nice too. My wife is hung up on all those labels. Even though we've been married for more than two decades, I just can't get that out of her.