Monday, June 14, 2010

"And You Stay There Because..."?

brohammas asked.

This past weekend I had a conversation with a few of our local politicians and the same topic came up.
When a local businessman pointed out that I'd been retired for the past decade, "You work more than anyone I know, especially for being retired." another businesswoman commented.
But that's the thing - being retired doesn't mean that one doesn't work.
Being retired means that one does not have to work.
It gives one freedom to walk away from any job at any time for any reason.

To tell the truth, I hate this town, this area, and this state.
I used to be racist (I couldn't help it, the philosophy is often one with which many youths who grow up in less than desirable circumstances are inculcated as a reason for their suffering.), but race no longer plays a major factor in my decision making.
But in this Southern town, area and state, race is the only determining factor in most people's decision making processes.

But I only do work for Black owned businesses.
Why?
Because the Blacks in this area have large amounts of money but very little power or wealth.
Blacks in this area represent half of the population but little of the effective representation.
Many Blacks still harbor resentment from Segregation and most still feel as though they are inferior.

Most of these still imagine that gaudy material goods bought from a chic boutique are more to be desired than ownership of the boutique or the building in which it operates.
Most still imagine that getting a new car every two years is more to be desired than not having a car note to pay for two or more years.
Most imagine that an unusable degree is more valuable than a marketable skill or knowledge.
Most still imagine that having better material goods is the same as being in a better class.
Most Blacks here focus on the outward signs of wealth without generating any real wealth that can be passed from one generation to the next.

"But there are a lot of Bill E. Bob rednecks in your area.", some might say.
So what.
What are they going to do to me besides hate me because they are in no way better than me - Call me a "nigger"?
Bitch please - try to hit a nigga and see what's up.
Provide poor service at a restaurant or store?
Chances are that I'm friends with their boss.
Have the police harass me?
Pa-leeese. The head of Internal Affairs and the Mayor have already handled problems for me in the past.

To tell the truth, I'd be more likely to be shot while pumping gas at a local station in So.Cal than I would be getting shot by some simple Hillbilly here in the South.
The truth is, most of these rednecks are just running scared.
Scared that their teachings have proven false.
Scared that Slavery, Segregation and racism have failed to eradicate Blacks (or browns, or yellows, or reds) from the American continent.
Scared that many of their children are being more influenced by the pop culture of the "coloureds" than by the disinformation being taught in their sacred history books.

So brohammas, why do I stay?
It is in towns such as this where society can be corrected.
It is in towns such as this where people will begin to judge each other by the value and quality of ones work.
Because this is ground zero for a larger social change.

6 comments:

brohammas said...

Man, I was just clownin around and you hand me this?

Good on ya.
I think we are on the same path in differing locations. You have Billy Bob, and I have Kiss me I'm Irish... though I have been in America for century... Irish means, proud to be white... which means You stay in your nieghborhood, I stay in mine.
Difference is, I love this town.
L-O-V-E it.

There is work to do everywhere.
Try one of my favorite past times. Crash mommy blogs of white middle class houswives and politely correct them when they say ignorant things... they go nuts.

We could use you here in Philly. Let me know when you are ready.

Reggie said...

I would imagine that it's much easier and more enjoyable to work when you DON'T have to.

That's what I imagine anyway.

FreeMan said...

It's the great social experiment and I for one want to see your results. The scale of the solution is not as important as the solution in the first place.

I think Booker T. Washington had the right angle of start where you are and what is needed. I think little by little his theories are returning to what needs to be done.

How about you stay there because you get a real bang for your buck. While a big city your plan gets lost in the sauce, in the good ole texas you are the first person to see many eureka moments as people discover themselves.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - I crash social events where most Blacks are just tokens instead.
If I hear, "He's smart for a Black guy" one more time...

@ Reg - It can be worse.
The rewards aren't financial but social (Which may have a bigger impact).

@ FreeMan - Yep. Your last paragraph says it all.

(Oh, and I'm still thinking about that other thing in the ATL before I comment.)

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Work at Ground Zero. Cool reasons.

@ Brohamas, chucking at "crashing mommy blogs..."

FreeMan said...

@UBJ - Yep I know you take some time to mull it over. I sent you another piece to the puzzle some more background to fill in the blanks.