Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Because I'm The King

Yesterday, an old woman I check on everyday quipped; "You're supposed to be here to help me - not to pick up my grand kids (great grand kids) from school. That's what my daughter pays you for."
When I told her that her daughter doesn't pay me - "Why would you do all this everyday for free?", was her reply.
"Because there is a need.", I said.

Yes, I'm the king.
The King Of Lazy.
Back when I used to wait on tables, I developed the habit of trying to make other waiters and bussers better.
Being that I was the new guy at the restaurant, I got stuck on the sorry shifts with the sorry workers.
You see, I could handle my tables and make money, but it seemed that many other waiters were always "In the weeds" (overwhelmed).
Because these guys and girls were sorry, they'd often require help - which took time away from me making tips.

There were two remedies for the problem.
One; Become even better and faster to enable myself to handle the responsibilities of mine and those around me.
Two; Teach those around me the skills to be better at their job (maybe even becoming good enough to help me when I needed it).
Being that I was The King Of Lazy, option Two seemed the most likely and the most profitable (for all involved).

Why do I try to help people better themselves?
Because I'm too lazy to do everything myself.

4 comments:

FreeMan said...

YES, but not Lazy in actual physical exertion but Lazy or Smart enough to realize if all boats don't rise you'll be fighting the war by yourself.

Citizen Ojo said...

I'm starting to realize that you can't save everyone. Maybe it's a bitter week for me but that's how I feel.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ FreeMan - Yeah... I want to be the best surrounded by the best.
The richest guy in the slums could still be a pauper - what's the good in that?

@ Ojo - Yeah... But who DO we save and how?

Citizen Ojo said...

That is the Million dollar question.