Monday, September 14, 2009

Sports v. School

Today is Parent's Night in the town which I live.
But of all the kids I tutor - none have a parent who plans to attend a single parent/teacher conference.
When the kids receive a bad grade or act up in school - these same parents blame the teachers.
"It's the teacher's job to teach my son (or daughter)" is the common reply.

But wait.
All of these kids play sports - some are good and some... not so much.
But the thing that every parent does is to make sure that every kid shows up for after school practice to raise their level of play.
All of the parents make sure that each kid shows up to summer practice to prepare for the coming year.
Each parent pays for equipment, camps and anything else their son or daughter will need to compete at their highest level.
These parents buy weights to help their children exercise and grow stronger muscles.
Each parent feels free to talk to the coaches to express their willingness to work with their son or daughter at home in an effort to help their child become better prepared and develop any weaknesses.

Why isn't their approach to school the same as their approach to sports?
These parents just don't get it.

5 comments:

FreeMan said...

Man it's time you to move away from this town! The past couple of posts you have been leaning heavy on them. I don't know if you feel all your efforts are not paying off or if you have concluded these people are a special kind of stupid. Either way you are on one right now!

Stupid is as stupid does and since the parents probably didn't do anything in school they won't advocate it. Instead they are going to push what they liked about school and that probably was sports, clothing and having sex.

This is why ignorance takes a couple of generations to clean up. You are competing against their parents giving bad direction and against the child's natural rebuking of hard work.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ FreeMan- I'm thinking that I had no chance of helping the lower class until there was a midle class to which they could ascend.

Since the financially middle class still has the mentality of the lower class - there is no real improvement.
Since the financially middle class held the same values as the lower class - the lower class mentality is just reinforced.

I think I'll be shifting my focus on developing a middle class (or a group of those from this class) who understand the difference between having wealth for a good time and passing wealth for a long time.

I'm sure I'll be called "Uncle Tom", Bourgie", a "Sell Out" etc. by many people - but my foundation will still be that of the hood.
I'm thinking that the old axiom (or is it idium), of; "The best thing one can do for the poor is to not be one of them", might be right in my current situation.

Maybe the ATL is the best place for you to implement your ideas.
Maybe there is such a thing as a "Perfect Place" for the perfect idea at the perfect time.

I'm just tired of being overwhelmed by stupidity - maybe I can do more with a group which possesses a little less (stupidity).

FreeMan said...

@UBJ - Man I think you approach people with a goal instead of approaching the goal with people.

You keep stirring that pot and something is going to happen. Right now you are looking like Will Smith on I Am Legend screaming at the infected saying I can save you I can save you.

I'm sure you'll figure the game out but I doubt if you'll be able to realize.

RunningMom said...

Yes!

I'm one of those parents trying to keep my son interested in his grades and sports while the rest of these parents you have described aren't putting the pressure on their kids.

I don't want it to be cool to do poorly in school. I'm on a hunt right now for a school where it's cool to be smart and athletic. Found one, too bad the tuition is waaaaay out of my league.

My son had a few choices for his electives this year, Yearbook staff, Advanced Math, & two other choices. Yearbook was his first choice and Advanced Math was his second.. So his best friend (and everything is a competition) got on the yearbook staff and he didn't. Of course he was disappointed but just happened that I read an article on kids/adults that know at least up to Algebra II, on average make a million dollars more in their lifetime than those who don't.

So I said - would you rather be on the yearbook staff or a million dollars richer? He didn't feel bad anymore.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ RunningMom - One of my little cousins walked in as I was reading your comment.
He had the same problem so I had him read it.
Thanks for saving me the discussion.