Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Don't Like Lil' Wayne

Not that his music sucks - it's just not for my generation and my current station in life.
But in my weekly "Teach Me" session with a young cousin, the Katie Curic interview was one of the topics we discussed.

Even though Wayne likes that Herb and an occasional sip of that Lean - overall, he came across as likable.

Miss Katie ?
No, not in the same way Morgan Freeman had to refer to Miss Daisey, it's something different.
You can tell he's from the South - it seems that everyone here calls their elders "Miss" or "Mr." - followed by a "Ma'am" or "Sir".
When my cousin asked "Why?" (he's originally from San Diego) - I explained that (like good manners) it shows the respect that one has for them self.

Weed/Lean
I asked my cousin if there was a situation where he would use either.
"Nope, that's not me.", was his reply.
"But what if a group of people said that you'd be 'cool' if you did" I asked.
"I'm already cool." he replied.
I've been asking him this same question since he was five - always with the same answer.
But this kid is actually "already cool".

Straight A's
This was nice to hear.
Even Lil' Wayne saw the importance of getting good grades.
This cousin just got yelled at by his useless mother for coming home late because he was at an after school tutorial session.
"You don't do homework" she yelled.
"How do you know? You're never here?", he replied.
She was mad,
but he was right.

Who's You're Daddy?
Today, this topic hits home with more kids than not, especially in the African American community.
For my cousin, it's no different.
But he (Lil' Wayne) used what he had to the best of his abilities.
"But you always help me" my young cousin said.
That may be true - but knowing and having the help of one's real father would have a greater impact.

(An aside;
Maybe more mothers should take a course or two in leadership skills.
-Many don't seem to understand that being bossy isn't the same as being the boss.
If someone is really running things, there is rarely a need to yell. You should be like E.F. Hutton - your words should carry so much weight that people will strain to hear your whisper in a crowded room.
-Respect lasts longer than fear. Kids will outgrow childhood fears. Without respect, that fear is useless.
-Kids learn best by watching and hearing. If all they see is an ineffective method of coping with bad situations - that will ultimately limit their skills in handling problems that they may encounter in their future.
An occasional "No" is the best thing you can tell your child.
And on and on...)

Eric B. and Rakim
"I came to overcome before I'm gone
By showin' and provin' and letting knowledge be born
Then after that I'll live forever - you disagree?
You say never? then follow me!
From century to century you'll remember me
In history - not a mystery or a memory
Called by nature, mind raised in Asia
Since you was tricked, I have to raise ya'
From the cradle to the grave, but remember
You're not a slave
Cause we was put here to be much more than that
But we couldn't see because our mind was trapped
But I'm here to break away the chains, take away the pains..."
(Follow The Leader Lyrics)

After Lil' Wayne, we switched to Eric B. And Rakim.
I had him listen to and read the lyrics.
I asked him who had better lyrics.
"Lil' Wayne", he replied.
I guess it's a generational thing.

"Are You Great?"
Katie Curic asked Lil' Wayne.
Lil' Wayne answered "Yes".
I asked my cousin the the same.
"Not Yet", he replied.

"Yet"?
Maybe there's hope after all.

No comments: