Wednesday, February 18, 2009

But Why Do You Care ?

The guys from Queer Eye try to help people so I have no beef with them.

But the recently deceased Mr. Blackwell made a career out of hating on people who happened to achieve a level of fame and fortune that was well beyond his own.
Second only to the horse-faced Joan Rivers in his cattiness, Mr. Blackwell assumed that his opinion should shape the fashion conscience of straight men and straight women.
If I was trying to attract a gay man - his opinion would matter.
If a woman was trying to attract a gay man - his opinion would matter.


Among the new guys shaping the clothing choices for men is Cojo. Not that these guys shouldn't have the right to make a living by stating their opinions - but that it shapes the choices for clothing for regular guys is my issue.

I have to buy suits two sizes too big and have them tailored down to achieve a desirable fit. I can't move in the current cuts. If these gay dudes like that stuff, fine. But designers need to focus on real buyers not the opinions of guys who the real buyers aren't trying to impress.

It's Award season. These guys are worried about darts and hems. I don't care. If a woman looks hot in a dress - who cares what some gay guy thinks. We need a straight guy at these shows. The best and worst dressed list would be a lot different.

7 comments:

Mr. Noface said...

Preach brotha! The fashion industry is "Bass Ackwards" and has been for the longest time.

D.J. said...

"If I was trying to attract a gay man"

Well maybe a certain type. I personally like a man who looks like he just came off a construction site.

Anonymous said...

I saw it coming with the pink as being fly on men. I told someone preppy was the beginning of metrosexual. Now the gay guy rating women is a oxymoron isn't it but it's Hollywood. Maybe they actually do rate the dresses though so I don't know.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Mr.Noface - And I thought people would hate this post...

@ D.J. - So you're sayin' that a guy should look like a guy.

@ D.FreeMan - But if straight guys had a show rating the women on the red carpets - we'd still rate the dresses, only with phrases like "That Richard Tyler gown really makes her butt look juicy, and that empire waist just perks up her breasts!".
Would she be offended? Maybe in public.
But when she got home, she'd look in the mirror and say "yea....".

brohammas said...

I don't have a problem with a gay dude talking about clothes. I do have a problem with the confusion over what gay is.

I saw an interview with one of these fashion guys and he was asked when he first knew he was gay and he replied that ever since he was a toddler he was obsessed with purses, so they have always known he was gay.

Liking purses does not make one gay. Being sexually attracted to another man is what makes one gay.

Just like saggy pants and a sideways hat does not make one black, black skin makes one black.

I also have a problem with the fact that if you judged the world by cable television...and many kids do, you would think all black people are either musicians or hoochies and 40% of the world is gay.

RunningMom said...

lol @ UBJ

Your version of the ratings is soooo much more entertaining. Maybe you should start a show!

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - Careful or you'll be called a Liberal.
But I understand what you're saying. The kid on Ugly Betty is often referred to as gay. Does he have a boyfriend on the show? He's feminine but that doesn't have to mean that he's gay. He seems to like everything that the stereotypes suggest - but he's still not gay.
I had a discussion with some guy here who hates gays. The guy can't fight, doesn't like sports, likes show tunes, is into acting, can't repair anything, doesn't get the girls and has cats. I told him that he was gay because of this.
He was mad, but since he can't fight...

@ RunningMom - Maybe I should.