Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Collect These

Why?
I'm not sure.
I had a bunch of them in the kitchen when I inherited the house.
Some of my darker cousins are offended whenever they enter my kitchen and see them prominently displayed on some of the shelves and counters.
Some just say", I remember those".
Some of my lighter cousins ask if I had these left over from when my grandparents lived here.
Some are disgusted and tell me that I should break them and throw them away.

But why?
They're not ugly.
I have several caricatures of many ethnic groups.
But the one's that seem to draw the most debate are my little Black chefs.
Even white friends can't believe that I have these little guys in my kitchen.
But what's the difference between collecting these and the little Sarah's Attic or All God's Children figurines.
My cousins have hundreds of the latter figurines in poses that have them; eating watermelon, taking baths in tin tubs, fishing, playing the "squeeze box" - all in tattered clothes and often toothless.
But still, they're more offended by my older figurines.
Is it the intent or the image itself that offends?
Is it that my figurines remind many of a time when these stereotypes were controlled more by those other than ourselves?




But as restaurants go - Bob's Big Boy and Sambo's were about the same.
Both (along with Denny's) offered low cost greasy food for those who lived in California (and some other parts of the country).
Did Bob offend fat people?
Or was it different because it wasn't called "Bob's Fat Ass Gay White Kid"?
(I always thought Sambo's had a blacker Black guy.)
Are Asian Indians offended at the image of an Indian kid with his tiger?
But When Sarah Palin says, "So, Sambo beat the Bitch!" - everyone knows that the use of either epithet wasn't meant as a compliment.
I had never heard of a "Golliwog".
I had never heard the term used.
But when I first read that Margaret Thatcher's daughter used the word to describe a non-white tennis player - I knew that that was no compliment either.
But the comment didn't shock me as much as the fact that these little dolls are still sold in stores throughout the UK.
WTF?
Didn't the UK get the memo?
Do they still believe that their Empire exists?
Is the fact that worldwide, non-white culture is on par with with white culture, a shock to the Brits?
I've heard London described as being "20 years ahead but 100 years behind" concerning pop-culture.
In the case of the younger Ms Thatcher and the sale of these Golliwogs - it's still a case of London being 100 years behind.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have an excellent "Figgurine" collection. What email address should the photo be sent to?

brohammas said...

Just like the "N" word, it all depends on who is saying it.

Curious said...

I can kind of see how you went from your jiggaboo dolls in your kitchen to the Thatcher gollywogs of Downing St, but how you placed the ills of the world on British is beyond me.

Sure everyone knows the Empire is dead, but there still is the Commonwealth of Free nations, the largest association of countries outside of the United Nations. It may not be important to anyone outside of it, but it represents a vast spectrum of different races, cultures and ideas of which London is just part of.

And in London, just like the sale of Nazi memorabilia there, the sales of gollywogs are sold as novelty items since they represent the American negro during the minstral age which did not exist there as well as the hangups that went along with it.

Anonymous said...

I can see why people would be pissed off about it to tell you the truth. I think it's like collecting colored signs off the bathrooms. It's a reminder of a bad time. Now the collection of these things aren't inherently bad but I don't think you should have them on display.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Big Don - It's on my profile.

@ Yep. And even then it can be misunderstood.

@ Yeah... Robin at bentsocietyblog just explained that to me.

@ FreeMan - I've been looking for those signs all over town and on trips to Louisiana.
I want to remember our history, not replicate it.
Since I wasn't exposed to it as much as many, the scars don't exist for me. I just need a visual reminder from time to time.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

that should be very valuable both historically and economically

Anonymous said...

I remember going to a friend's home for a candle party, only his partner didn't know there would be Black people coming. They collect Aunt Jemima figurines for their kitchen.

No big to me except when I showed up resembling dear Auntie the other partner felt he had to try and hide EVERY SINGLE ONE because he thought I would be offended.

I finally understood what was going on (the panicked stares each time I got up to get a drink or something) and explained what he kept in his house was his right as a US citizen, they didn't offend me.

I look like a walking caricature: dark skin, big body, smiling most of the time. But, I'm gonna be respected. Those things don't hurt. They remind and cause thought.

Nitegator said...

We had both of these restaurants in Memphis, Bob was call 'Shoneys Big Boy, and Sambo's was called 'Sambos', During the early 70's Sambos was the popular eating spot with blacks, the whites went to 'Chefs Kitchen' Sambo was character was an Indian not to be confused with the black character 'lil Black Samboo' It was based after the character in the 'Adventures of Sambo', even the menu had comic strips of the Indian with the tiger. According to people that worked there It was Indian for Somboie but offered meals that were competing with the Shoneys, Chefs Kitchen, and Grid Iron. It did close down, Piccadilly and Morrisons had the buffets.

SjP said...

I understand collecting these images as a reminder of a time gone by - but that is not the case for folks in the UK. They are, as you say, 100 years behind the times and refuse to recognize or acknowledge the offensiveness of the golliwog.

Our UK brothers and sisters have been fighting against these thing for a while, but are constantly told that they are just toys and a part of UK history and tradition. I would just like to know if anyone who truly believes this and finds no fault in what Thatcher said would refer to anyone who was not of African descent as a "golliwog"?

Anyway, if you would like to join Bent, myself, and a few others in an international campaign to ban the golliwog started this past Saturday, you can find out more here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?sid=4dd82e83b7745d46e22c4a5796a3d1f4&gid=131464610159

Also, there are two petitions available one for UK citizens (http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Golliwogs/) and one for citizens of the world (http://www.petitiononline.com/golliwog/petition.html)

I also invite you to read my post on this issue here: http://sojournersplace.blogspot.com/2009/02/piccanninies-watermelon-smiles-and.html

Much Obliged, SjP

RiPPa said...

My uncle who lives in the Caribbean has been working on a book entitled the Golliwog Revolution for some time now. The term in itself is a remnant of British Colonialism,