Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Traditions

"Do you know how many women would have been here?", "Do you know how much money you would have gotten?", "We could have had a huge party!", "This is your special day!", were the most heard comments after people at clubs and bars found out that it was my birthday. My 'special day'?
But I am special everyday.
I already get too much attention - and I'm embarrassed by it.

But the tackiest tradition here is the one of pinning money on a person for his birthday.
This just seems like begging to me.
"It's my birthday - please give me some money.", this seems to say.
I hate this practice but it seems so common that they even make t-shirts.
I never heard of this or saw this back in the suburbs of Cali - is this tradition practiced everywhere?
Do you beg for money on your birthday?

5 comments:

DF said...

It's actually a African tradition practiced by Nigerians and also you see it in Italian cultures.

I think when you see it nowadays people are just followers..

Here's an example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJM8zHx7AAk

Anonymous said...

This is also practiced here at some of the "Quinceanera" or Sweet 15 parties, where you pin money to the dress. At some weddings the bride carries a matching purse from her wrist where guests can drop their envelopes with money in them.
Also many coup;es will tactfully stipulate on the invitation that "if you find it in your heart to gift the happy couple, they would prefer it be in cash"

brohammas said...

I was always taught "beggars cant be choosers" which translates to a gift is a gift and you accept it. To stipulate what you want as a gift makes it no longer a gift but a payment.
I never saw pinning money to a birthday person till just a gew years ago some people I know suddenly started practicing the "tradition". The person actually started out the birthday with some "seed money", which meant pinning some of your own money to yourself to make it look as if some others had actually started it off.
This bugged me like no other.

RunningMom said...

Mmmm... does "suck for a buck" count? The bride-to-be sews lifesavers on a t-shirt in different locations... special ones cost more. $1 for a sleeve spot - $5 for a nipple... etc.

Always thought it was tacky... I wouldn't want 50 random men sucking anything off my shirt.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ FreeMan - Really? I thought it just started when people needed money for the rent.

@ Desertflower - That's different.
People are invited to those events.
But just begging for money from strangers seems kind of tacky to me.

@ brohammas - I know it's bad when they even do it in Utah.

@ RunningMom - Ummm... I'd do THAT!