Friday, July 9, 2010

Effum

Maybe DeeVee is correct when he proclaims this time as a showcase for a GSBS (Although I'd reduce it to ASBS).
It seems that every local and national news organization led with the story of a basketball player's decision on where he would work next.
Really?
I know times are tough but is wall-to-wall coverage of a Black guy working worthy of the national news?

As Cleveland celebrates it's own version of Guy Fawkes Night by burning LeBron jerseys, and Cleveland Cavaliers owner rants because LeBron proved that he was indeed a a free man able to make his own choices, and Jay-Z and the rest of New York have to suffer from another sub par season - LeBron decided that he could do all that he could for his home area and elected to play amongst his friends and gold medal winning Olympic teammates in sunny Miami.

Damn...
Some people assume that just because you help them that you owe it to them to be helped.
I get this whenever my contracts expire to run nightclubs.
After my goals are met (usually earlier than planned), the staffs are trained (usually beyond that which even they imagined they were capable), and the clubs have a consistent clientele - I leave.
But the blow back is terrible.
Owners and patrons have accused me of stealing from the clubs and harming their ability to continue to function at the same levels which they had before my departure.
Owners and patrons have offered even more money in a effort to keep me around doing that which I don't wish to do.
Owners and patrons have spread rumours to other owners that I am hard to work with.
Owners and patrons have labeled me a "sell-out" because I didn't feel as though I owned their club any more time, effort or knowledge.
All this after I'd told them beforehand that they could not afford me but that I would help them for a short while anyway.

Does LeBron owe Cleveland or it's fans anything?
Hell no!
It's not LeBron's fault that players would rather watch LeBron play than to elevate their games to the same level.
It's not LeBron's fault that the owners and fans placed the value of their own self worth on his shoulders.
It's not LeBron's fault that he attracted more revenue, glamour and attention to a city which could not generate it's own.
It's not LeBron's fault that he made it known that he owns his life - not the team owners nor fans.
So what's my advice to LeBron?
Just to keep doing what he does best where ever he'd like and to look at those burning his old jersey, shrug his shoulders and say, "Effum!".

3 comments:

brohammas said...

The day I watched Joe Montana go to Kansas City, I knew loyalty in sports was dead.
The Cavs would not hesitate a minute to trade LeBron if they thought they could get a better deal, or thought he had let them down.
Why should the player have to stay when they are offered a better deal or if the team or city has let the player down? the hypocrasy is astounding.

FreeMan said...

He is indeed a Freeman and I salute him for saying I'm not holding on to some dumb tradition and losing forever.

When Kobe was saying the same thing the Lakers went over the luxury tax and have been bringing in players every year. When LeBron definitely was going to leave then they finally get a coach with a system and fire everyone.

He did his job and his contract is up. I like you got that same response when I left working for one company before I did my own thing. I was seen as a traitor and since they egged me on I became that and competed against them for their clients.

It's the nature of people to not want great people to leave but it's a whole other level to turn the hero to the villian. He like you and like I can't win and can't make things better so you just take your lumps and leave.

Mr. Noface said...

LeBron is a grown man and as you said, a FREE agent, so he was FREE to do what ever he wanted. My question is though; did he have to do Cleveland like That though, in an hour long special on national TV (not even having the decency [though perhaps having the smarts] to even be in Cleveland when making the said announcement)? I guess my beef is not with what he did, but with how he did it. I liken it to a man proposing to his girlfriend via the jumbotron at a sports game and her reply being "No!" in front of everyone at the arena and (God forbid) in TV land or on the internet. It especially embarrassing when dude finds out that she's been trying to break up with him for months prior (c'mon, you know LeBron did come to his decision the day of the announcement).

I can't help just feeling a little bit bad for that city. I mean they must feel gutted right now. Don't get me started on the Knicks, those guys just stay losing.