Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lemonade In Winter

I have some young cousins who don't seem to be doing well in school or at keeping jobs.
So what's to be done?
Create their own business.

I had a concept of a kiosk at the local mall that would enable them to set their own hours and work for themselves.
But before doing this - I set them to task.

The idea was to sell lemonade (bottled water, pecan candy, soda, ...) to passers by from their local university's sporting events.
I obtained the requisite vendor's permits and licences and provided their initial product line.
But the weather has been cold.
Who wants lemonade on a cold day?

After two days (at only a couple hours each day) the boys gave up.
But as my favored little niece was riding with me she offered a suggestion to these young men.
"Why don't you sell hot chocolate instead", she said.
But at this point, the boys were too embarrassed by their failure to continue.
As I watched, this little girl set up shop.
My niece sold out of her hot coco and the rest of the items in very little time.

Upon counting the younger child's profits the boys declared that they wanted their business back.
But this was only a test.
I knew lemonade wouldn't sell on a cold day.
I just wanted to know whether these boys could improvise (They cannot).
I wanted to see if they could think for themselves and not just follow orders.
Too bad my niece is too young to run a kiosk at the mall - the girl would make a killing.

6 comments:

FreeMan said...

Great lesson as that is exactly what I stress to my nephew. People see the end of the world and they just watch it come. If the hustle isn't paying off look at your surroundings and see what does.

UBJ it's going to take a lot of examples to get the boys thinking that way. It took me like 50 conversations where I posed a hypothetical business to my nephew before he started asking why can't we do this or it's not going to work because of this.

It's a constant exercise but I admire you for even setting it up becuase most of what scares people about business is selling to people. They'll be over that but your neice (the star of the show) always is on her toes and will be a excellent businesswoman one day. She is already sensitive to people's needs so business is a natural fit. Boys on the other hand just want to make money and run. The same pretty much holds true into adulthood.

brohammas said...

But what of those who have no desire to own their own business? I preffer sacrificing true wealth in exchange for security. I like other people assuming the risk while I stockpile my own meager resources.

Striking out on your own is not for everybody, nor should it have to be.
Maybe the nephews would be better off learning to function within an existing system. There is practical value in observing the lay of the land and finding ways to navigate within it to your own advantage.

Its about quality of life, not pure wealth.

DPizz said...

Could part of the difference in outcomes be attributable to gender? I would not discount that there could be a HUGE difference in patronizing some young, nappy-headed Black boys versus buying something from a younger, probably cuter and less threatening, Black girl.

I also have to agree with Brohammas, the hustle is not for everyone - especially direct solicitation.

The thinking and improvisation you were hoping to see are skills that most of the time have to be taught or can be taught.

FreeMan said...

@Brohammas - Why isn't business for everyone? I mean there are a million types of business from ebay to opening a bank, to me it's like saying college isn't for everyone when you can become so many things and you never know until you are there.

Business is the ability to provide for yourself and isn't that essential for all people living in this country. Isn't that why people are mad because they have to support people who don't want to produce. Isn't opening a business a bigger contribution to the country than just getting a job?

Quality of Life is determined by the ability to control ones circumstances and isn't business one of the most aggressive avenues one could take?

I'm just asking? (A lot)

Val said...

Sometimes a failure seems like just a failure to those who have experienced success but if you have experienced failure on a regular basis it's hard to take another. Especially for a teen.

brohammas said...

I am in no way saying someone should be prohibited from going into business, but some simply do not have the desire to do so and that is fine. Not everyone needs to be in charge just as not everyone needs to be proffessionally concerned with P/L statements and margins.

I would not say that a teacher is contributing less to the country than a business person. Even if you say someone who wants to teach could open a charter school, I say I could not produce something better than the Harlem Children's Zone, and would rather work within that organization than attempt to create a new one.

There are lots of great organizations, firms, or employers that are worth working for and I say someone that would rather find a place in an existing infrastructure can still be as "productive" as the entrepeneur.

To each his own, get in where you fit in, or any other cliche' that fits.

One who starts his own business and fails is not more self determined than one who has a stable job and is responsible with the salary or wages they earn.

Both can be great and both can be miserable failures...
Again I say persue the quality of life you desire and not everyone has the need to work for themselves.