Monday, January 11, 2010

Hip Hop Is Dead

Take a long look - it's all over - the fat lady has sung.
Rap used to have something to say.
Rap used to be daring and original (even with the samples).
But rap has gotten too big for it's britches.
It's memes are hacknied - it's rymhes are banal - if Weezy does time - he'll be taking it anal.

It all started back East, with rhymes raw from the streets, where ones biggest concern was something to eat.
But the East lost it's crown to newcomers from out West - who came from the land of the bulletproof vest.
A lexicon of numbers was taught to the masses; 187, 487, 211 (you'll get no day passes).
Then P-Did and Jigga produced acts like Biggie, they were still keeping it real, no need to get jiggy.
But a new voice was heard somewhere in the South.
From sons of slaves (with gold in their mouf).

Kanye, Weezy and don't mention Drake?
Rap was often an act, but these negroes are fake.
What happened to the poetry, the soul, the passion?
These sissies dance around - consumed in their fashion.

That's it.
It's all over.
The fat lady has sung.
Hip Hop is dead - the funeral's begun.

On a side note; Check out Mill's work at Undercover Black Man. >
Doesn't Treme look like a series based on Juvenile's Ha video?

5 comments:

Freckles said...

say that homie.

Words have so much power and they should be used for real expression. There are so many purpose filled subjects to speak upon. Subjects that can be easily relatable. So yes brotha, I feel you but I would rather keep hope alive.

CareyCarey said...

Rap should be called rape. I mean, that mess could put a crimp in a brotha's game. Yep, rape him of his ability to put a bug in a woman's hear, while they were doing a nice slow grind.

R & B is for the lover in me. Rap is for the gorilla in thee.

I'll take the woman with the hooker shoes. Rap that!

DPizz said...

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, it could just be that you are out of the demo. You now might be the middle aged parent wondering to their kids how can they listen to the crap they listen to.

Also, I think the situation is exasperated by free radio, which has become some bullllllshit. I tend to think there is likely still good rap/hip-hop being made, but you have to go searching for it or tune in to special programming because free radio will not bring it to you. For example, while there was little on radio that I wanted to hear, I would listen to The Wake-up Show with Sway and Tech. They would often play stuff that was not in rotation on radio and served as a music discovery vehicle for me. They were playing stuff that was of high caliber. Not sure if they're still on or not. They changed the time of show where I live, so I haven't listed in 2 years or so.

Citizen Ojo said...

You rap now too? Who knew..

Anonymous said...

Digital memory,to me, is something that I seem to be unable to ever have enough of. It's as if megabytes and gigabytes have become a permanent part of my every day existence. Ever since I bought a Micro SD Card for my Nintendo DS flash card, I've been constantly vigilant for large memory at low prices. I feel like I'm going insane.

(Posted by PostNet for R4i Nintendo DS.)