Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Make" a Job

Anyone can make money - just be good at what you do.
After being in town for a while, I wanted to work as a bartender.
The thing is, I hadn't worked in a few years so my employment record was kind-of spotty.
I just gave up on working and decided to stay focused on my rental homes and volunteer work instead.

One day I walked into a bar and said, "Y'all need help.".
The owner told me that they were not hiring.
"No I didn't ask if you needed help, I was telling you that you NEED HELP.", I replied.
"I'll work for you for free for two weeks to teach you and to train your staff.", I offered.
After my first day, the owner offered me a job tending their bar.
"You cannot afford me. But I'll help you out for the next three months for free.", I replied.

After turning their business around I didn't work again for about three years.
It was about this time that everyone seemed to want to open a club or bar.
The name that came up most often was mine as being the one to start a bar with.
But I changed my title to "Bar Consultant" and charged even more money than most new owners could afford.
I worked out profit sharing deals which only had to be paid to if I delivered sales.
Club after club prospered and I became known for turning bars around.

My current ownership obligation only came about because my most recent deal was structured in a way that allowed me to gain a larger share of the profits.
The owners liked to gamble, shop and travel so when my bonus was due, they did not have the money to pay me.

My most recent opportunity came from another bar owner who asked me to open a bar tending school.
I would have ten students in each two hour session with each student paying fifty dollars per session.
The university extension program would get $25 to pay for building space and supplies.
I would have to teach six sessions per week (three two-hour session per day - twice a week) and be paid in cash at the end of each day.
I'm busy enough as it is but I'll think about the relatively quick and easy (12 hrs. - $750) money.

3 comments:

DF said...

Well when you know you're good you can offer to do it for free. Sometimes I think you just planned your way to get to the point you are today. But, most people don't connect the dots or plan far enough down the line to see it.

I'm in a similar position here and I've been biding my time. Connecting with people here and there but pretty much doing recon on a whole city. Now that a year is coming up it's time to actually build. I've refined the plan to what the ground really looks like and what this market likes.

I actually got a job in the city doing swing shift coding for a bank. It gets me in the city and keeps travel money in my pocket without a obligation. I still run the business in the day and work on everything else.

Take the cash as it can be used for a trip back to LA to enjoy and live it up. Why not have pure blow money and teach at the same time? That's what I'm trying to do myself.

Daniel Milstein said...

That is true. As an author and business man, I can relate to how you said, "It was about this time that everyone seemed to want to open a club or bar". I hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you're talking about. Can't wait to read more from you!

Blogger said...

Get daily ideas and methods for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE totally FREE.
CLICK HERE TO DISCOVER