Sunday, November 14, 2010

Daphne

 While most guys have no problem with seeing women dressed in football-type uniforms - most (unknowingly) have no problem with seeing men dressed as women either.
 How many guys have gone through the ritualistic high school hazing of dressing like cheerleaders?
 TMZ mogul Harvey Levin even dressed as Gloria Alred this past Halloween.
 And lets not forget (or maybe we should) seeing Wesley Snipes in To Wong Foo, or Robin Williams in Miss Doubtfire, or John Lithgow in The World According to Garp, Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies, or countless other examples of men in drag.
But should a young boy be able to dress as Daphne from Scooby Doo for Halloween?
Would I let one of my young cousins or nephews?
(Hell no.)
But a recent Jay Leno Show showed a clip of Terry Bradshaw in drag,
and I just flipped past an episode of M.A.S.H. in which Jamie Farr regularly appears in drag.
When is it 'acting gay' and when is it just having fun?

2 comments:

Val said...

What exactly is acting gay?

What do Halloween costumes have to do with being gay or men dressing for film roles?

What is the point of this post? Do you hate gay people?

uglyblackjohn said...

"Acting gay" is in quotes.

No point at all.
More of a question.
I saw the coverage of this kid and while I don't think I'd let my male cousins dress as Daphne it's just odd that men in drag is acceptable under other conditions.

Why would I hate gay people?
What have any of them done to me?