Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Q; Is Hip Hop Dead? A: Jean Grae!

D Pizz said - "You might be the middle aged parent wondering about their kids, 'How can they listen to the crap they listen to.'".

Fair enough.
It seems that every generation fails to understand the usefulness of the succeeding generation's music.
My parents saw no value in Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions or NWA.
My parents thought Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye or James Brown were truth.
I missed the whole Biggie/Tupac beef.
By the time these artists were big - I was trying to get away from the hood.
I could just look around to see what these artists were rapping about - and that future held no place for me.

But every generation had at least a small voice expressing some type of social conscience.
P.E., BDP and NWA spoke of societal ills. (As did Grand Master Flash a musical generation earlier - "Don't - push - me - I'm - close - to - the - edge...".)
Today's charts are dominated by many rappers whose songs are as simple as the sing-song tunes of Barney.
Maybe this is more a reflection of the educational state of today's children.

Sure, there are a few artists still making original and creative music.
The Neptunes, Pharrell, NERD, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Nas, Dilated Peoples, The Roots, Matisyahu and Jean Grae all put out music that could compete in any generation.
In fact, I'd even add HOVA to that mix.

Is Hip Hop really dead?
Well... the stuff being mass produced is dead;
http://www.zimbio.com/Rap+Music/articles/315/Major+Record+Companies+Manipulated+Control
Underground Hip Hop will continue to evolve.

No comments: