Saturday, December 19, 2009

D'oh!

I'm easily embarrassed.
No, not for things like tripping on a crack in the sidewalk, or cutting a fart in public, or ripping the seat of my pants, or even for being wrong in my opinions.
I can always just get up and keep walking.
Farts happen ("Sharts" are another story).
Pants can be replaced or sewn.
And my opinions are usually not fully formed.

But I'm easily embarrassed by adulation - I know that I'm not all that.
But awards and honors make me uncomfortable.
Why should I receive an award for doing my best?
Isn't that what we are all supposed to do?
Why should I receive an award because my easy effort is viewed as more valuable than someone else's hard fought effort?
Is my taking it easy better than someone else's growth?
Awards tend to remind me that I'm not perfect and I view any such award as my buying into a lie.
And for me, telling a lie is embarrassing.

But different people tend to have different values.
For some, an unearned award (or reward) is seen as a validation of their thinking or actions.
For some, something as simple as, their hair not being freshly cut is a reason for them to miss school.
For some, not knowing is viewed as being dumb.
For some, what others may think is their very reason for being.

Some people value character while others value appearance.
Q; Can we judge a person's character by that which they are embarrassed?

6 comments:

brohammas said...

We may make judgments of one's personality, which can help determine comfort levels in differing situations.
There may be some small overlap but I vote character and personality are not the same... and that comfort/disscomfort are more personality.

FreeMan said...

Similar to you I deflect all accolades because I don't see the reason for them. I would pay to see the results of this post because I don't know if embarrassment is a true indication.

I have to agree with Brohammas as I think it's more of their personality.

uglyblackjohn said...

But people are only embarrassed about the things of which they care.

-If one cares more about money than anything else - they will probably be embarrassed about being poor.
-If ones greatest perceived asset is their looks - they will probably be embarrassed about a poor appearance.
-If ones greatest care is popularity - they will probably do anything to retain their status.
-If one views their intellegence as their greatest asset - they will try to prove themself right, even when they know they are wrong.

As is the case with all the celebrity scandals - everyone has their manufactured persona.
And this persona is what people will always try to protect.

Freckles said...

I hear you but I guess I do not agree however you are entitled to feel how you feel.

I think that accolades are generally reflections of gratitude for what is given. To be honest recognition is not necessarily a need for validation but people should be able to think and show their appreciation for any and all effort.

Balance should always be considered. There must be givers and takers. Some feel validated by giving and/or acknowledging ones worth or value and one should be able to recieve by appreciating. Its all balance.

Freckles said...

PS.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Freckles - Yeah... I had an ex tell me that it was rude to decline an award.