Thursday, February 11, 2010

Recipe For Success

Teaching boys how to cook isn't as hard as some might think.
Since these boys eat a lot of pork (at their mother's and grandmother's homes),
I decided to teach them how to cook a pork tenderloin roast.

Step 1; Dice and mix - two clumps of garlic, one onion, 2tsp crushed red pepper, 2tsp of black pepper. (NO salt - the pork is salty enough already.)
Step 2; Stab the heck out of the tenderloin so that it resembles the parents of Lizzie Bordon.
Step 3: Fill the cavities of the roast with your fresh mixed seasonings.
(Step 3 1/2; Cook three strips of bacon in a medium to large pot until the strips are crisp. Set the crisp bacon strips in the refrigerator.)
Step 4: Place the roast on it's side and turn until all sides are properly browned.
Step 5: Add two inches of hot water to the pot and allow it to slowly boil for about an hour.
Step 6: Add fresh carrots and potatoes to the pot and allow to simmer for another 45 minutes.
Step 7: Remove pot from heat and allow meat to rest.

Step 8: Mix two pints of chocolate ice cream, 1/2 cup of chocolate syrup, one cup of half and half in a blender with the chilled bacon strips to make a Chocolate Bacon Shaken.
(I know, it sounds terrible but it actually tasted good.)

What's the point of all this?
This week, I had to babysit a couple of teen aged boys while their mother was out of town.
These boys' mother thought that I was going to cook and clean while she was away.
But I'm old school - I believe in boys doing what is required to ensure that a home runs smoothly.
These boys had someone enforce rules and expectations on them (probably) for the first time in their lives.

As the boys boasted of their cooking skills to their grandmother, she boasted of her cooking skills of yore.
This conversation moved from school, to friends, to pop culture, to what she expects from each of them.
As these boys have televisions and computers in each of their rooms - there was rarely a situation when this family would eat dinner together.

After a week of this interaction - these boys seem to sit and talk to their grandmother more.
These boys now ask questions about how and where their grandmother was raised, where she'd worked and about the history of there family
Their grandmother is now looking over their homework (even though she doesn't understand it herself) which they seem anxious to explain.
These boys once again became members of their own family.

On the return of their mother, their grandmother boasted of the newly acquired abilities of these young men.
Their home was clean, their homework was done, and their family was fed.
Their mother had assumed that I had done all the housework but she was surprised to learn that her boys were more capable than she'd ever believed.

IMO- We have become victims of our own "success".
Too many seem more focused on "Keeping Up With The Jones' " at the expense of developing strong cooperative families.
Sure, a father in the home might be the most desirable situation - but what is really missing is leadership.
Too many parents are trying to be liked by their children instead of developing respect from their children.
Too many have lost focus on a strong foundation that will enable their children to make smart (not popular) choices.
Too many don't even know the value of themselves.

7 comments:

FreeMan said...

C'mon PORK the devil's meat! LOL

What you're creating is another avenue for interaction between generations. My neices and nephews always talk about the new business they want to create as they think that's what I want to hear. So half of my time is spent asking how will it work and did they think about this and that. I also call them up individually and pitch my ideas at them to see what they think of the names and their feasibility.

As a result my brothers, sisters and mother believe I am trying to force them all to start businesses. For sure I am but realistically I am trying to get them to think of 200 options when any idea is proposed. I hope that will help them to develop what I got organically and that is the ability to keep coming up with new ways to get things accomplished.

The problem with poverty is that its so harsh and punishing that when many get out of it they reward their kids with opulence. They forgo all the tough lessons that should be passed on for the sake of seeing their kids fat and happy. No rules are enforced because they remember when they had to do it and now since the kids have options they don't want to force them to do anything. Thus they grow up without a proper work ethic and have no real desire to get more as more has always been there for them.

Just by having firm expectations you got boys to clean, cook and seek attention and approval from their grandmother. All by cooking the devil's meat!

By the way check your Email I sent you something I need you to look at. EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL.

Anna Renee said...

That's some Heathcliff Huxtable ish right there! It's what's needed and it's not hard!
I'm almost 50 and still cant cook a roast--too scared to!
KUDOS!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone! I do not know where to begin but hope this site will be useful for me.
Hope to get some help from you if I will have some quesitons.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

brohammas said...

materialism, keeping up with the Jones, pop music,(just thought I'd throw the last one in there) are all shallow. Pop is not about ideas, its about image. KEeping up appearances is all about what people see at a glance.
Character is about none of those things. Chasing one of these things usually erodes the other.

Reggie said...

Dammit John, you're a damned good father!!!

Ever since my son could see over the grill, I've been teaching him how to 'que. I think all young men should know how to 'que and cook. I've always made it a point to show him what I've done to both prepare food and cook it. I don't 'que to much of the pig, but I ain't mad at chu. My country relations are prone to eat every bit of the pig but the oink. All jokes aside, I'm sure they don't eat all of it; but other than the teeth and the hair, there can't be much left when they're done.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ FreeMan - the first meal they cooked what they liked (pork).
The other meals were grilled salmon (although Mercury might be a concern), chicken (steroids and antibiotics), and beef steaks - all with fresh salads and vegetables.

I had to break them in gradually.
I had done the same things with my young cousins and their families and it seems to be working for them.

@ Anna - As the oldest boy in my family - I've been raising kids since I was a kid.
I still don't ccok as well as do my coisins from Louisiana - but it's edible.

But the Huxtible method seems to be what is missing from many families.
There has to be an "Ultimate Authority" in every family to reduce the mixed signals given off by most parents.

@ brohammas - Those Mormon commercials actually give solid advice.

@ Reg - These aren't my kids.
One of my young cousins describes me as a mix between "Super Nanny" and "Extreme Makeover Home Edition".

I've taught my young cousins (and many of their friends) to; Que (too cold here this time of year), work on home repairs, work on cars, do laundry, clean their homes, mow and edge their yards - whatever needs to be done.

Their mothers (and grandmothers) wanted everything done well the first time - I taught them the concept of "process".
That even though these boys didn't know how to do something - they could learn.

Truth B. Told said...

I love chocolate. I love bacon. I don't think I would like them together.