Friday, November 13, 2009

Be Yourself

How do people get their own talk shows when they can barely speak?
Magic Johnson had the star power but lacked the ability to communicate with his guests or his audience.
Magic suffered from the Marble Mouth (Sounds as though he is trying to speak with a mouth full of marbles.) malady that seems to plague most Black entertainers.
It's works for rappers and athletes - but when one is seeking to reach a broader audience, the Ebonic accent fails.

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case with George Lopez.
Think about it, there hasn't been a successful ethnic late night talk show host since Arsenio.
Kimmel, O'Brien, Leno, Letterman, Fallon and Ferguson - one is just like the rest.
Lopez seems comfortable being George Lopez.
D.A.G., D.L., and (to a lesser extent) Brian McNight all seemed to try too hard to affect a persona that they view(ed) as being mainstream.
All forgot to bring their own flavor.
All seemed to forget who they were - instead, each tried to be what they thought their studio heads wanted them to be - but it was obvious that they were all fakin' da funk.
George seems comfortable being a Mexican - most Black talk show hosts seem to be embarrassed about being Black.

But being embarrassed of being Black (or ethnic) isn't limited to entertainers who seek to crossover.
Politicians often affect their concept of "White" whenever they appear on the news.
You've seen them - the guys who know they're from the hood but who try to sound and act as though they are members of the elite within society.
It's usually easy to spot the poseurs - they're the one's who over articulate every syllable of every word they speak with the haughty accent of Mrs. Howell.
They are the ones who compensate for their lack of sophistication by putting others down.
They are the ones who try to distance themselves from "Those Black People".
These are the ones who imagine themselves as being a step-up from the lesser masses, while in reality they are are just a step next to the lesser masses they so desperately try to avoid.

So, whats the lesson from George Lopez?
Just stop trying to be what you're not.
Instead, just be a better you.

6 comments:

CareyCarey said...

Simply put....GEORGE LOPEZ IS NOT FUNNY! I couldn't get through his monologue....ZAP!

Brian Mcknight can blow but he lacks a real persona, or let me say this, he's not a macho kind of guy. I mean, after he's done singing I was done with him.

D L, is a place to go when you want to laugh at a fool but on serious issues, I wouldn't, couldn't, never took him seriously.

I am still waiting on Monique'. I mean, she's a great comedian, but she has to learn how to tone it down, when necessary. I can't stay hyped for 60 minutes. And fawning over her guests is getting on my nerves. I channel check her.

Magic? Forget about it! He talks too slow and he's lacking in the quick wit department

"Spit it out Magic, breath through your nose"

Yep, he has a jack ball mouth.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

Didn't know Lopez had a talk show got to check him out one day.
I like D.L. as a comic,but talk show host I believe is out of his expertise at this time.
I do believe with a little coaching DL could incorporate his comic routine with a talk show routine.

FreeMan said...

Man I need Arsenio back! Lopez and Wanda Sykes seem to be missing timing. The interesting thing about most of Leno Fallon Letterman and even John Stewart is the art of timing. It's one thing to be funny but a complete other to keep the show moving along. And don't get me talking about Mo'Nique.

See I think when we are talking amongst ourselves there is a inherent genetic timing that we all recognize. When we shift to adjust for the masses it sounds unnatural. It's like dancing or clapping off beat it takes real effort to pick up the tones.

When I was taking salsa classes the beat was a bit faster and I was used to falling into my normal Black music beats. It took me a while to adjust my dancing to what my PR/Black girlfriend naturally did.

I agree be yourself but understand that you being you might not have the crossover appeal!

Shelia said...

Much agreed on Lopez not being funny. It's a sucky standup every night. The man definitely has personality plus, but I thought his comedy sucked long before the talk show happened.

I was trying to give the man a chance, but the show is more of the same of his comedy... not funny.

doll said...

Can't share an opinion on the men you have listed but the Australian Prime minister is an appalling player of the "ocker' accent when it suits him. A man who has been at the highest ranks of the diplomatic service makes many Australians cringe when he trys to talk in the manner that he perceives the common man to talk. It fools no one.

Keith said...

I totally agree. He shouldn't try to act in some way that he isn't. George, like anybody else, needs to be himself. Be true to himself. I've seen people of all races try to "act like another race." They are putting a front on when they are around certain people.