Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Iconography

While Dan Brown's new book deals with the meanings behind several well-known symbols - I'll bet none of these make the list.





Any guess to their meaning?
(Okay, so even this test is culturally biased.)
(Answers; 1-Ska, 2-Public Enemy, 3-Prince, 4-Red Hot Chili Peppers, 5-Fishbone)
If you scored 100% - give yourself a slap on the back for having an eclectic mix of musical tastes and for having a reasonable knowledge of modern hieroglyphics (Or maybe you grew up in some Southern California suburb in the 80's and 90's).

6 comments:

FreeMan said...

I think I get a pass from being in California. I scored 5 of 5 coming from Compton!

uglyblackjohn said...

I thought the Fishbone icon would be the stumper.
But that's what I love about Cali. - even from the hood one can have access to "other" cultures.
Although Ska and The Peppers do give much respect to Black music.

FreeMan said...

People would laugh at me when I said I like Red Hot Chili Peppers. My boy used to say how can you like Dj Quik and all this drug gangbanging music but still know Rock.

They used to think i wasn't from Compton. They would say I grew up in the burbs but was faking it. If it's good it penetrates all neighborhoods. But Cali is so mixed who my Filipino boy used to put me on to all kinds of music.

Shhh but don't tell anyone it diminishes my street cred! LMAO

uglyblackjohn said...

Why?
The Peppers went to Fairfax HS - not to some school in the Valley.
They've been around the hood and the life more than many rappers.

brohammas said...

How bout if you are from a suburb in freakin Salt Lake City and ran the table?
Skatalites, Skankin Pickle, and every local band I ever saw...
UpliftMofoPartyPlan, and any other Peppers album that doesn't include David Navarro...
Pants with no butt...
Weird dude with a clock around his neck and the inspiration of tons of white dudes in Hammer pants and Africa medallions...
I will admit I would not have known about Fishbone if the Peppers hadn't droped their name in one of their songs.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - You had to use the "six degrees" method to know The Bone?
(They were in a lot of RHCP videos too.)