Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bloody Tears

Doctors aren't sure what causes the sanguineous discharge referred to as Haemolacria - but the last widely reported case was of a 15 year old Indian girl.
Superstitions and religious explanations aside - there has to be a medical reason for the condition.

When I was a kid, I would often get unexpected nosebleeds.
Usually, I could feel the barometric pressure rising and then I'd feel a small "pop".
The condition is common in children but is usually outgrown.
The kid in the above photo also had problems with frequent nosebleeds but he apparently had the condition "fixed" by doctors.

Maybe the blood is redirected to the next closest avenue of exit (kind of like blowing one's nose too hard and having fluid discharge through the sinus ducts of the eyes).
Maybe the doctors "fixed" one problem but created another.

4 comments:

FreeMan said...

This takes men don't cry to a whole other level. This guy should not get his heartbroke anytime soon or some girl will think she really is killing him!

People have a sixth finger and both genitalia so bloody eyes without someone hitting you with brass knuckles is alright with me.

SjP said...

Saw this yesterday on the morning news. I'm ashamed to admit that the first thing I thought about when I saw it was "Trueblood". But, I do sincerely hope that young man will be o.k.

brohammas said...

UBJ, stop trying to explain away the supernatural.
You should totally see this potato I have that is shaped just like the virgin Mary.

Wait, was that dissrespectful? Sorry. (As I still hit "publish")

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - I'm not.
The supernatural is just that -
Super + Natural.
In other words, there IS a scientific reason behind every action.
Miracles can be explained away,
only the timing dictates whether they qualify as such.
(The Red Sea drying up is more common than was thought - but having it occur just when a tribe was escaping and then having the process reverse itself when those giving chase were in it's mist still qualifies as miraculous.)