Thursday, January 1, 2009

Dopamine

The lack or overabundance of Dopamine has been linked to psychosis, ADHD, and hyper-sexuality.
Kind of sounds like problems that are common in the hood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

If these dopamine receptors are in a constant search for the feeling of pleasure - maybe the real cause of crime and violence should be addressed from a chemical dependence stand point.
No, not illegal drugs, but the "drugs" that our own bodies produce.
Maybe these random acts of violence can be traced back to one's addiction to drama and excitement.
How many people do you know who always return to their old ways or their old neighborhood? Maybe they're addicted.
Maybe one's childhood adrenaline addiction (caused by always feeling a threat of danger) are more to blame than one's circumstance.
Maybe this is why so many children (who are from this type of environment) who participate in a structured athletics program seem to do better than those without. Could it be that their need for the rush of adrenaline is satiated by these activities?
If not sports - what?
Gang activity?
The military?
Crack?
Meth?
What would fill the void left in the receptors of those who are conditioned to always feel a rush?

Maybe the adrenalin (or Dopamine) rush is the unconscious reward many are seeking in carrying out these acts?
(Hat tip ; cnulan)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a kid from the violent area I think you are on to something here. I am often bored with what people consider to be a healthy lifestyle. I don't want to play organized basketball, cards, or any other middle class BS. I actually do miss the adrenaline rush but I know it's not safe for me. I know what's at the club and I can spot it. So to sum it up you might be right about the dopamine because I have that problem and I find a lot of ish in this world to be beyond boring. I have channeled my need into business and I spend a lot of time coming up with new things and testing them out. I feel the need to stay busy all the time and for some reason I just don't like to sit still! Maybe ADHD but then again everyone I know is either up to doing something or smoking weed to calm it down.

uglyblackjohn said...

I asked this watching the types of video games my young cousins play. The GTA series seems to get them worked-up pretty well. This is a case of them being more calm AFTER playing a game. I had to change from games after homework to games before.

Also - even when I kept getting out of the hood, I kept going back. Not that I was in any real danger (maybe God's looking out for me) but the ability to manage that perceived danger seemed to calm me down.
I'll probably do some reserch on the effect of this possible addiction to the thrill.

CNu said...

It is indeed the neurotransmitter whose exploitation is essential to governance in the western industrialized world...,