Monday, January 19, 2009

Conservative Sissies

Conservatism is both the root of our country's stability and the cause of our country's stagnation.
Much of conservatism is rooted in ignorance which often shows itself as fear

When my mother divorced my step-father, my mother and we children had to move back to the 'hood.
My mother was worried about us being able to adapt to a hostile environment - so she said a prayer on our move-in day to ask for our safety.
My older sister took the isolationist approach - only going into the complex for brief moments.
But she was safe.

Since I was going to be blessed with safety, everything was opened to me.
I met and learned from many people who most others would run from, lock their doors or cross the street if approached by them.
So... were the facts that I was competent and confident in the ways of the street the reasons that I could afford to be more liberal in my relationships with these people?
Doesn't it require less courage to be fearful?
Doesn't it require a certain strength to have hope?

Many Conservatives call Liberals "emotional" and "ignorant".
But I ask; Isn't the emotion of an irrational fear the motivation behind your conservatism?
And isn't it ignorant to work in theories while having little understanding of other facets of our society?
So in prejudging everyone else - aren't you showing yourselves as emotional and ignorant?

So... I'll be a Liberal (yes capital "L") while you stay the scared Sissie little girl.

8 comments:

brohammas said...

maybe.

Couldn't it also be said that liberals are so intent on feelings that they often act in ways that are counterproductive to thier desires? How is this rooted in day to day reality?

How is having a stop the violence rally, which is simply a bunch of words spoken to a crowd of already non-violent people, going to actually stop violence?

Does restricting access to and the maintenance of wilderness really protecting the envirenment? How did that work out for Yellowstone?

Does Greenpeace really value the lives of trees over people? Why spike trees to injure loggers?

It would seem that the most affective and just route would be moderation in opinion, depth of thought, and commitment to action. All these things would push us toward the middle, not Liberal nor Conservative.

Where is the word, or the party for that?

DPizz said...

I have to agree with brohammas. Neither extreme is desirable.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas -
- Some (maybe many).
-The rally doesn't matter so much as who is taking part. The fact that some of these now wish to take responsibility for their actions (and more importantly - hopefully their recordings)is a step in the right direction.
-Nope. We are part of the environment.
-Greenpeace often misdirects good enthusiasm. (Aren't they called "Conservationists? Afraid of progress?)
-Agreed
-"Liberal" is the word. In others words; "I think I'm right until I'm convinced that I'm wrong" - not "I'm right and will always be right".
-No party, just people.
I don't mean "Liberal" as in against tradition. Traditions are needed - there just needs to be a 2.0 version from time to time.
Anyone who seeks better answers and new ideas is almost, by definition, Liberal.

uglyblackjohn said...

@DPizz - Yep.

RunningMom said...

Put me on the Liberal bus then, I'm ready for new ideas and new progress. I'm not scared!

achoiceofweapons said...

Dr. Claud Anderson asks what are so-called conservatives conserving?

I would think that a thinking person would know that the only thing that is certain is change. We went from the Whigs and stalwarts to Republicans and Democrats. Each era has it's own changes and that should be embraced. The past should be used to caution us not guide or lead us.

I liked the practicality of your story illustration.

Jaycee

Anonymous said...

What makes you say Conservatives are sissies? Answer me one question: where is Obama sending his girls to school? Hmm, not the DC public schools? Gee, why not?

Woops, ever heard about the limousine liberals? Liberals (of all colors) are happy to BUY their segregation from black violence, in exclusive neighborhoods, behind gated roads.

And your choice of pictures is pure black supremacism. Why don't you put the picture of the one of the CURRENT heavyweight boxing champs up there? Woops, they're all WHITE, aren't they?

Oh man, am I racist to point that out? The American sports media sure doesn't point it out much, do they?

Anonymous said...

And just FYI, George Foreman is truly "post racial". You should read his autobiography. He refuses to talk about anyone's race at all.