Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blame Tony Robbins

Okay,
Not Tony Robbins, but many like him.

From the late 1800's and The Church of Christ, Scientist
To L. Ron Hubbard and Dianetics and later Scientology
To Werner Ernhard and est (or EST).
To books like The Secret.
Many New Age thinkers have sought to a way to combine God and science.
As recent events with John Travolta's son have shown, the two don't mix.

I believe in medicine.
If I have a headache, give me an aspirin.
But even medicine has it's limits.

My youngest brother was (is) a Blood. Years ago, he was in a fight with a group of Crips.
He was in a coma and the doctors said that he wouldn't make it through the night.
I went home and prayed for him to either die that night or let him recover fully.
The next morning, my mom called me to tell me that he was still in a coma and that I shouldn't expect him to live another day.
I went to the hospital to check on him - he was still alive.

So in my faith - he would be fine.
Two weeks later, he awoke.
The doctors and my family warned me that he would be a vegetable for the rest of his life.
"Says who?", I asked.
The nurses said that it was "nice" that I could still have hope.
Only I didn't have hope, I knew.
As my brother progressed through each stage of his surprising (to them) recovery, the doctors and my family warned me of my brother's inabilities.
"No, he's fine", I would reply.
I hated them all.
I hated those weak and doubting people.
They were making him weak and doubtful.
He recovered fully and went back to the life that got him in that mess to begin with.

So when I read about Jet Travolta, I understand.
Sometimes faith matters more than knowledge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post for everything you said.

And for what you didn't.

I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that previous post is mine.

DPizz said...

Main, you know I cannot get with your whole religious kick, but if it works for you, then great. So it was your faith in the God of the religion that your ancestral people adopted from those that enslaved them (presuming you are talking about some form of Christianity)that saved your bro?

The practice of medicine is definitely as much an art as science. Despite the medical prognostications of your brother's demise, they simply didn't really know. The human body is complicated and how one reacts to medical treatments can vary. The medical treatments ultimately worked for your bro and that's wonderful.

And I'm not sure how the death of Jet Travolta proves anything. From what I understand, the parents took all medical actions available to them and who is to say they did not have faith that their son would recover. I don't know, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here.

Tell your bro I said what up cuz (just kidding).

brohammas said...

Faith is a funny thing. True faith won't be shaken when our desires are not in line with God's will. Sometimes the answer is "no", and that does not make one's faith invalid.

Isn't it odd how miracles do not lead directly to repentance?

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Debo - Thank You

@ DPizz - What I'm saying is that the Travoltas took the best route that they knew of. If Scientology is their religion - fine.
As far as my faith saving my brother - nope, that's not what I'm saying. But since I didn't give up on him in his rehab, neither did he. He didn't settle for the limited expectations of others.

@ brohammas - Yes and yes.