Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Day Of Rest

I'm taking a break from politics and social issues today.
Even the Almighty God grew tired and had to rest on the seventh day.
There's more to life than what's wrong with life.

Below are some of the iconic pieces of furniture that I'd like to own.

The Tizio lamp by Artemide.
Okay, I have a set in storage back in Cali.
But it's still my favorite lamp of all time.

First chair by Memphis (designed by Michele de Lucchi, 1983). When this chair first came out - it just screamed Miami Vice. Impractical, but nice to look at.

Sunburst wall clock by George Nelson for Herman Miller, 1950.
I have a couple of later models, but this one (original version - not a re-issue) is my all-time favorite.
Ray and Charles Eames' plywood chairs of the 1950's inspired a whole new direction in design. Arguably the most photographed and/or filmed piece of furniture...ever.
George Nelson designed the Marshmallow couch for Herman Miller in 1956.
A nice couch that I could never use.
A local dealer has one, but it's way over priced (and has ugly cushions).
Maybe I'll work out a trade for some built-in kitchen appliances that I have here in storage.

2 comments:

RunningMom said...

I have a vintage 1958 black pleather couch / futon. It's fabulous. In pretty good shape too.. no rips or tears. My dad had it in his office at work for forever. I claimed it!
Kind of looks like the kramfors loveseat from Ikea, only the arms are thinner.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40073339

Love the Nelson clock and couch and the Eames chair. I have some yellow Eames-like chairs and a table. Mine have the seat of the one on the left (see link), with a different base. The table that I have is the color and texture of the chair on the right with the same base.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/eames.jpg

When I bought my house, the previous owners had this old plastic lamp, hideous, but retro-cool. That plus the red carpet and notty pine made for the perfect "retro-room" which we use as our tv, computer, den, playroom.

Soon as I adopt, that room will be converted to my bedroom and all that stuff will either go to a good home or be relocated to the basement..

brohammas said...

Love all the stuff, especially the Nintendi Wii drum set, er... couch.