Monday, July 19, 2010

Wattstax

Maybe I should have listened to Invisible Woman and Mills a bit sooner in taking their advice to see the old documentary Wattstax.
Being a huge fan of Public Enemy - I never knew that it was from this film that Chuck D sampled so many lines for his group's albums.
(i.e. "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude..." - which begins my favorite PE song, Show Em What Ya' Got.)
I never knew that this film showcased material from Richard Pryor's "That Nigger's Crazy" LP.
I never knew that Sisco stole his look from the lead singer of the Bar Kays.
I never knew that Ted Lange did more than appear as Issac on The Love Boat, or that Woody from Sanford and Son was ever young.
While Mills is gone and IW seems to be taking a break - what else ya' got as far as being requisite in the genre of classic Black cinema?

3 comments:

Val said...

I have been wanting to see this for a long time. I'm going to have to put it on my Amazon wishlist. Thanks.

To All My Friends On Shore, Starring
Bill Cosby and Gloria Foster

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067858/

uglyblackjohn said...

@ Val - It's on sale now at Walmart for five bucks.

"To All My Friends On Shore"?
I'll look for it - thanks.

Val said...

Thanks.