Saturday, July 3, 2010

Plan Better

In the past ten to twenty years, many homes have been built to resemble homes of much better quality.
One of the most common decorative touches was the addition MDF - instead of real wood - crown molding, window casings and baseboards.
This is an adequate choice in areas with low humidity - but baseboards often get wet.
Since few contractors take the time to paint all sides of this product with a good oil based paint - cracking, mold and deterioration are often a problem which leads to the replacement of this inferior product.

What's the point of all this?
Only that my young cousins are making a killing this summer replacing this flawed product with a less expensive (but better for our location) product.
That looking like higher quality is not the same as being higher quality.

2 comments:

FreeMan said...

Ok I see you are training the cousins to be off the book contractors. When I buy my house I'll send you quotes so the youngins can come to the city and live in it while they rebuild the house on my dime.

brohammas said...

This idea is THE reason I don't like Vegas. Everything is an immitation of something else... the something else is always better.