Monday, February 28, 2011

Non-Compete Clause

Some club owners try to get clever.
Some seek to eliminate any competition.
As part of my service contract I offer the option of a Non-Compete Clause which forbids me from working at a similar nightclub or venue.
The clause usually stipulates that I cannot work for a rival 'Black-owned' club for a set amount of time.
But since I cannot do that at which I'm good - this costs extra money.
The owners pay me not to work.

The funny thing is that a group of local Asian club owners from California seeks to expand their demographic.
The guys are used to Black people but many Blacks in the South are not used to being around large numbers of Asians.
They are well funded (rumoured to be Triad) and they treat me to bottle service and a couple of booths whenever I wish to attend their clubs.
I've yet to work at bringing Blacks to an Asian club before - this might be interesting...
Local DJ's, club owners, liquor reps, and patrons all suggested that this group hire me.
They say that I have broad cross-cultural appeal and that I could make their spot the spot.
Damn... getting paid by club owners who felt the need to stipulate "Black-owned" while making money doing the job anyway...?
Suckers.

No comments: