Monday, January 3, 2011

Whatcha' Want?

I'm terrible with money.
But I know this.
There is an old Chinese(?) saying, "One disease, long life - no disease, short life.".
The meaning is that if one is aware of his shortcomings he is able to take actions which would remove him from harm's way.
Since I'm so bad with money - I make lists,
I estimate my yearly bills and pay them all in January,
I buy the best that I can afford and then take care of it,
I only buy things with cash.
This way, I never have to worry about effing up by bank account.

I inherited a lot of rental houses but I hate being in the rental house business.
These homes are in the Hood - with a capital "H".
One option was to keep the properties and lease the mineral rights to oil companies.
It was an easy choice - mailbox money is good money too.
But in the mean time I could use the houses to try to help others. (One should always know what it is he is trying to accomplish.)
Did I know that the residents were going to eff things up?
Sure, I thought they would. (There is more than just affordable housing holding most people back.)
But why tear down houses which might be able to benefit others?
I wanted to help people.

Did I end up helping anyone?
I guess a few?
Will the results be long term?
Maybe for the kids.
These kids will grow up remembering that a Black man helped them when they needed it.
They will be able to imagine themselves doing the same.
They will not have the image of every Black man placing the value of money above the value of people.
They will have seen Black people working to make things better.
Maybe their self-image will be better in the long run.

I'm also over the night club scene.
But I'm good.
Not just at having game but on the business side as well.
This past New Year's Eve I hooked up celebrations which were catered by Black owned restaurants at a discount. (Each restaurant got to place menus and signage at each sponsored club. Most even worked out deals to cater future events)
I had radio stations provide concert tickets, t-shirts and on-air mentions just by allowing them to be sponsors.
I had my liquor reps buying Kettle One vodka, Hennessey Black and Crown Black in an effort to promote their products. The reps even handed out a whole lot of product swag to guests at each event.
I had design students show off their skills in decor at no cost.
The clubs got hooked the eff up!
I even tended bar for a few hours.
This is why I'm expensive - I can deliver and ensure a nice profit for each client.
 I hate running nightclubs....but I wanted the money.

I'm also over doing construction jobs.
But this is a mix of helping others and making money.
I charge enough on the big jobs to be able to afford to do many small jobs for little or nothing.
I keep enough small jobs going to be able to teach my young cousins a marketable skill.
I have no idea why I still do construction jobs - maybe it's because I can get exercise without having to go to the gym.
Maybe it's because i enjoy fixing what others have effed-up.
I really don't know - but I only do the jobs that I want to do.

3 comments:

DF said...

I don't prefer to do anything either but sometimes I like to challenge myself. I think that's why I move from place to place because I see them as places to conquer.

It just seems with your talents and skills you have multiple challenges to keep you entertained. I think you should try to teach people how to speak Latin and then see if you just want to attempt the impossible.

Otherwise money is a great payoff for the challenge. Do we need it NOPE but it's good that there's some kind of door prize in challenging oneself.

brohammas said...

OK. SO if the slate were wiped clean tomorrow, what exactly DO you want to do?

uglyblackjohn said...

@ brohammas - I think I'm already doing it. I think I'd be bored if things were too easy.