Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Don't Buy This

 While I'm a huge fan of Kohler's quality and workmanship - some of their products do not meet their own standards.
(While not a photo of the tub in my house) I have this same Kohler Centennial Series tub with the requisite 10k gold plated fixtures.
If properly maintained - the thing should last over a hundred years.
But Kohler seems to have missed in their design of tempered glass shower doors.
Sure, they look nice but they don't last.
The problem seems to be that the corrugated pattern is on the outside of the shower door while the inside is smooth.
So what's the problem?
The extra surface area on the textured side cools much more quickly than the smooth side which can cause the entire shower door to disintegrate with little warning.

Place a glass in a sink filled with room temperature water.
Now pour hot water into the glass.
The glass cannot distribute the temperature fast enough so it breaks.
This is what happens with Kohler textured shower doors.
The smooth glass on the inside of the shower cools slowly while the corrugated side on the bathroom side cools quickly.
And at $300 a pop - you may be better off just buying a shower curtain.
And having to pay someone like me $200 for an hour's worth of work is not a good use of your resources.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one stylish tub guy! :)

I hope none of those doors have caused harm to the bather! :(

Nice of you to post this info for any future buyers!

brohammas said...

Your like a high school science teacher... Of course I blew up my high school science teacher.

Shower Doors said...

That's good. Offering interesting package and your article is really nice. specially the Red bath tub look amazing.

glass cleaner said...

I have Kohler fixtures all throughout my house. The only beef I have is with the new cast iron tub. It doesn't drain well although using standard pvc. I have to leave the plug out after showering otherwize I'm ankle deep in water.