Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I May Be About to Go Out of Business


No, not because the club is doing poorly - maybe it's doing a bit too well.
While one of the nicest clubs in the area, my best patrons are a bit more 'street'. (Yet this still is not the problem.)
The club hosts parties for everyone from ballers (from 'street money' to professional athletes) to private parties for the local Grand Sire of the Boule. (Yet this still not the problem.)
The club's patrons include a mix of races and classes and sexual preferences. (And still, this is not the problem.)

Through the club, I donate to most of the area's local charities. (And this might be the problem.)
By supporting charities I tend to meet many of the movers and shakers in the area.
By being in a bar setting, many from such charities drop by the club to support me and sometimes some become intoxicated and tell their business. (Which is still not a problem as I tend to 'remember nothing'.)

We are in the middle of a run-off for a hotly contested city council seat for one the city's Black districts. As each candidate seeks support - some make deals with those who may not have the area's constituents' best interests as their own.
Some deals are said to be made between candidates, pastors of the area's largest churches and a white lawyer (who made close to a billion dollars in Texas' tobacco settlements) who is said to already have most of the city's politicians on his payrolls.

As I happen to be sitting at the same table at an upcoming NAACP gala this weekend, I plan to call those involved in this intrigue out.
Will there be retaliation? I expect it.

4 comments:

CNu said...

Tap one of your media contacts, a brave and ambitious investigative journalist and prep them to do the calling out. That way, they profit by breaking the news, you profit by staying incognegroe and continuing your good works, and the bad guy(s) get richly deserved boots up asses.

Trust me on this one brah, ain't no profit in the Capt. Save-a-Ho business....,

John Kurman said...

I like it.

Anonymous said...

@SeeNew - Man... I'm pretty much sick of everyone right about now. I know so many secrets that I just want everyone to leave me alone. The club has become so popular that it is no longer a place to which I'd even go. The pastor in question is said to be using his newly found contacts to sell the votes of his church members to the highest bidder in an effort to further his own financial gains. This is a small town with lots of oil money and everyone knows and owes everyone else. I support all the right groups (depending on each immediate goal) but I join none of them.

CNu said...

Serious business brah.., set up a dummy facebook as a dead drop (including a fresh dummy email address) Friend a small group of young journalists associated with the local Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates. Feed them all some bread crumbs from your hot and fresh gossip bakery and see who's hungriest.

Let the youngsters (with no local loyalties or allegiances) impress you with their responsiveness to your bread crumbs. When you've hit upon one or more ambitious and ready to work, put them to work wearing out their shoe leather prompted by your guiding influence. (this is not a big investment in time or effort on your part)

A young journo will absolutely kill to have a well-placed anonymous source such as yourself. You get to lay back in the cut, doing what you do, and enjoying the satisfaction of dispensing justice in the court of public opinion when the spirit moves you to do so.

I have gotten more done in this city via this channel than any 20 entrenched activists combined, and I now have a small network of well-placed friends in the media all across the country - two of whom have Emmy's to their credit as a result of being responsive to bread crumbs I scattered in their direction.

I can't even begin to tell you how much satisfaction and stress relief you'll feel the first time you reach out via this channel, and ghost a richly deserving MF'er.