Friday, August 12, 2011

They Haven't Got A Prayer

Whether the NEETs in England or bored kids at your area shopping mall, one thing remains the same - today's kids have no music.
Sure, pop tunes can give one the often fleeting feeling of everything being alright - that life is just one big party and that one should not lose his invitation.
But Pop Music is not real music.

If  I believe my assertion that "Music=Prayer" then today's kids are praying to powerless worldly gods who can do little more than produce the illusion of well-being.
To gods which only serve to placate the masses.
But what happens when worldly desires are not enough?
What happens when these worldly desires are unattainable for many?
What happens when being concerned with only "Me" offers little-to-no solace in tough times?

In times past, society often turned to music as a tool with which to focus the needs and desires of the masses.
Both Punk and Rap are the illegitimate offspring of the establishment's Rock&Roll .
Each were created by those who needed a voice but had none.
Can't play the guitar? No problem, just improvise and play a Punk tune.
Can't play the drums either? That's still not a problem, just sample the music of others to create your own Hip Hop.
The outcomes from these times may have still resulted in riots but at least I could understand why these riots occurred.

I'm Black. I'm supposed to know about Hip Hop.
I could use the Public Enemy albums as an example.
But let's use Punk instead to illustrate the belief that music can convey a point to anyone with the ears to hear.
Taking a cue from SeeNew... The Clash is one of my favorite bands.
Their first album was a simple attempt at being heard by those who were experiencing similar problems.
Their classic double-LP London Calling  sought to call attention to bigger issues, to bigger problems than oneself.
Almost thirty years on and many of the songs on the album still apply to many of today's situations and conditions.
But how does a group follow up a double-LP?
With an even more ambitious triple-LP.
Sandinista could now apply to our current wars in the Middle East.
The Apocalypse Now- inspired Charlie Don't Surf  could now be  re-titled "Muhammad Don't Surf".
The Call Up could be used as a call to all to forgo joining the military in a time of unjust wars.

Sure, people will riot when they feel they have no voice.
But with the right music, these riots will be more focused and will likely bring about a more desirable outcome.
With the right music - ones prayers will be answered.

3 comments:

amanda said...

When I need a little prayer to music I pull out a disc by Rita Marley.....yes it does get me closer to god and yes it does make me want to behave with more propriety and grace.

Tom said...

I like it. Yeah, there's some I guess postpunk music that got me through from age 15 to 25. I'm glad it was there.

I'm also thinking The Clash was (maybe still is) a good "gateway band" for people who dunno punk. The Clash was the real thing, but still comprehensible to people who might not feel like dealing with the Buzzcocks or something right off the bat.

uglyblackjohn said...

@ MissAJ - A lot of people listen to Gospel but I can't stand the stuff - the people singing always seem as though they are begging.
I need something with a little more power behind it like PE or The Clash. I'm not mad at anyone so I ain't reaaling feeling most Gangsta Rap.

@ Tom - The Clash evolved even when many in their audience didn't. It's hard to be taken seriosly about poverty issues when one is a millionaire unless it's writen from a third person perspective.

I was mostly exposed to West Coast Punk (Dead Kennedeys, Black Flag, X, Circle Jerks, (early)Go-Go's, Fear - anything played by Rodney Bingenheimer) but I was never angry enough to get that into it.