Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Why do Black people?

I'm not sure of exactly what to say. During the current Presidential campaign race has become a defining issue- more than the substance of each candidate's policies. "Race is King" seems to have returned to the forefront of the American dialogue. Since I want to be topical, let's start there.
I'm Black, live in Beaumont, Texas,(used to live in Riverside, California) and I'm still becoming acclimated to how inculcated racism is - here in the South. Because "Ebonics" isn't my usual way of speaking, I don't live in "the hood"(though some would argue that all of Beaumont is "the hood", and I know a little about a lot, people often ask me; "Why do/are Black people...".
I'm not the spokesman for all Blacks but i don't think that my life experiences are anomalous either.
Having made this caveat, let me begin with the most common queries.
Q- Why are Black people so loud?
A- Because nobody listens to them.
People who are loud have no credibility. Do you rremember those E.F. Hutton commercials? If people care about what you have to say, they'll strain to hear a whisper in a loud and disruptive environment. Do you notice how children respond to parents who always yell? After a while they learn to block it all out and the parent loses credibility.
Q-Why don't Blacks learn as well as (pick an ethnic group here)?
A- I'm tired and I'll let you know tomorrow.

3 comments:

DPizz said...

I don't know what people mean when they say "Why are Black People so loud?". I need to know the context. To me, many Black people are generally louder than most in typical social situations because they are by nature more expressive, vociferous and demonstrative in their manner. This may come off as unruly in certain situations. I think the comment arises from such situations when Black folks may not be conforming to the generally accepted norms of behavior (norms as defined by the people asking why Black people are so loud?). This may occur because some Black people may not be familiar with the norms of a particular situation (as defined by others) or simply do not ascribe to those norms e.g. some Black folks do not accept the norm of being quiet in the movie theater - I know this is stereotypical but anecdotally there is some truth to it. I'm not sure if this is what you meant in your post, but these are my thoughts on what you wrote.

uglyblackjohn said...

So if I look at your DNA- Which cromosome is the LOUD one?

Unknown said...

The 19th chromosome is the loud one. You didn't know that? Basic biology son. j/k It is scientific fact that traits, mannerisms, etc. can be genetically transferred. But even if you choose not to believe this, my larger point still is valid; whether by nature or by how Black folks are generally socialized they tend to be more expressive and demonstrative in their mannerisms, resulting the the "loud" label. My point still holds.

There are many people of other ethnic origins, in this country, that essentially have a similar plight as Blacks, yet they are not attributed with being "so loud". Is someone listening to them?